Default Getting back into it after 4 years...waterlogged hull?

Good evening forumites

Coming for some advice re: my Dell Quay Dory 13. It's been in the garage for the last 4 years (had it out for a trip in 2015 - planed beautifully!) however, I haven't "properly" had the craft out in about 4 years

I was reading online about the hull being waterlogged and I was wondering are there any ways I can tell if it's waterlogged by inspecting the hull? I did read that a waterlogged hull would have soft spots and wouldn't plane.

The craft planes very well, however only achieves about 20 knots with a 1990 40HP Mariner...

I do intend to weigh the boat - but in the meantime, any signs or indications of waterlogging would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dell Quay Dory

Default Re: Getting back into it after 4 years...waterlogged hull?

Weighing probably the easiest way of checking. Or get your hands on a moisture meter. 20kts with a 40hp sounds pretty good , so probably all ok.

Dell quay's are built with a foam sandwich, the adverts show one being sawn in half and the parts still float, due to the foam, however over time this foam absorbs water, at least in cheaper makes it does, one way of checking for water is to tilt the boat back and remove the bung, there should hopefully be no sign of water running out. I doubt you find any exterior signs of water, again this is down to the Proper materials and workmanship of the company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvbPPxSrL5Q
    Last edited by omega2; 14-11-17 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by omega2 View Post
    Dell quay's are built with a foam sandwich, the adverts show one being sawn in half and the parts still float, due to the foam,
    That was Boston Whaler.

Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

If your boat has been garaged for 4 years, why do you think it might be waterlogged? Was it full of water?

Hi guys

Thanks very much for the replies.

The reason I worried it was waterlogged actually stems back to when it was last used - there had been some damage (about 3cm long gash) on the starboard side attained when in a harbour. This was caused by the craft being moored without fenders, and incoming swell from the sea knocking it against the wall.

This was sealed a month later. I had noticed there was a slight list to the same side - its approx 1-2cm lower in the water on that side.

However, due to the speed etc being attained, I'm doubting its completely saturated. I think I read that the DQD's are built with compartments to prevent water spreading throughout the hull
    Dell Quay Dory

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    That was Boston Whaler.

I stand corrected, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore658 View Post
    Good evening forumites

Coming for some advice re: my Dell Quay Dory 13. It's been in the garage for the last 4 years (had it out for a trip in 2015 - planed beautifully!) however, I haven't "properly" had the craft out in about 4 years

I was reading online about the hull being waterlogged and I was wondering are there any ways I can tell if it's waterlogged by inspecting the hull? I did read that a waterlogged hull would have soft spots and wouldn't plane.

The craft planes very well, however only achieves about 20 knots with a 1990 40HP Mariner...

I do intend to weigh the boat - but in the meantime, any signs or indications of waterlogging would be appreciated.

Thanks
    If it planes at 20kts with 40HP it ain't waterlogged. I had a well used one (diving) and after every use parked it bow high with a bung (that I fitted) in the outer transom open it, bled maybe 1-2 litres each time. Stop stressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadenough View Post
    If it planes at 20kts with 40HP it ain't waterlogged. I had a well used one (diving) and after every use parked it bow high with a bung (that I fitted) in the outer transom open it, bled maybe 1-2 litres each time. Stop stressing.
    I tend to agree.
    Don't stress over it as they are really easy to keep on the water.
    I have repaired quite a few over the years.
    13 s and 17 s
    I had the use of an original 13 in 1967.
    Dell Quay took it back after 6 months full of water.
    My father was head of sailing at Calshot Activities Centre.
    It was nt a good advert for them.
    They gave us a new one.

Since then I have had the job of removing the foam from under the floor on a few.
    Just cut out the floor leaving about 50 mm all round.
    Dig out the foam.
    The foam in the sides is normally ok. So it remains unsinkable.
    Glass in a few paper rope stiffeners.
    Foam crossmembers 3 on 17 ... 2 on 13
    Put the floor back.
    Glass it in.

Ok there are a couple of decisions on the outboard well etc.
    But they are great boats for playing around in and how many ribs that are over 40years old are still around.