Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VHF mics

Default Re: VHF mics

Lpdsn,
    if the Garmin price is not representative, then maybe upgrade day isn't quite so far away.
    I would have thought that a cockpit speaker would give better sound than the necessarily small one in a RAM, so it seems like a worthwhile improvement regardless of whether I upgrade in the future.

Daverw,
    Thanks for that info. Seems like matching the mic gain is the thing that would sink this. It was only an idea for an.evening or two's tinkering.
    Extending the mic cable is an option providing the extra cable wouldn't be a right pain. I need to make a nav station anyway, starting from scratch, so have some scope there.

Quote Originally Posted by mogmog2 View Post
    I would have thought that a cockpit speaker would give better sound than the necessarily small one in a RAM, so it seems like a worthwhile improvement regardless of whether I upgrade in the future.
    The remote station on my Standard Horizon gives perfectly good sound without a dedicated speaker.

I don't think a simple mic in the cockpit would be worth the effort. Adjusting volume, squelch, and channel while receiving is a big part of how I use my remote, which a simple mic wouldn't help with. And when you do come to transmit, the only call you'll be able to make without going below is an emergency one, because otherwise you're going to have to change channel away from 16 during it, or at best (calling a station that listens on its working channel like a marina) go below to change channel before starting to transmit.

It's not totally useless, but it's a lot more inconvenient than it at first appears.

Pete

PRV,
    Thanks, all good real life info.
    Sometimes, but not always, when you think "why hasn't this been done before?" there's a good reason.
    Does rather sound like it's not worth the effort then, especially as it'll be a while before I sail solom
    I've got more than enough stuff to be doing anyway really.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12