Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: I can't wait to see this in the cinema

I have found the trailer irritating already. Owing to Rachel Weizs. Nothing against her personally, but something about her acting skills just don't seem to be on par with Colin Firth.

Also, I do wonder how the family feel about this film. I have read the books and seen the documentary in which one of the sons was interviewed (in tears at times), aged 40 plus I would guess.

I think he was a brave man who was in a corner / dilema. I wish he had sailed home, lost his business, taken the disgrace of two log books on the chin but lived with his family. (Also, the false reports he sent in made another competitor push his boat too hard and it foundered and the skipper later killed himself - so double tragedy.)

I've seen it, it's a good film. Much better than the steaming pile of poo that was All is Lost.

It tells the story well, although more emphasis could have been place on the final entry of the log and what happened. Also I didn't get the impression that Colin Firth had lost his marbles, just a bit unshaven with scruffy hair. But don't let that put you off.

I loved the detail, the way the boat ages through the film, and the feeling of the time it happened.
    Boaty Photographer http://grahamsnook.com
    Journalist and YM's new boat tester

Having had a few fragile moments in my life, I have no wish at all to watch a portrayal of someone falling to bits till they step off the back of their boat.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Looking forward to this one as well.

In case you missed it when it first came out, this was very good too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Water-...rds=deep+water
    My Karma ran over your Dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
    Looking forward to this one as well.

In case you missed it when it first came out, this was very good too: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Water-...rds=deep+water
    Worth every penny. I believe this is the documentary in which his son is interviewed. His wife is mentioned in the cast. Original footage included of the poor chap.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460766/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460766/...f_=tt_ov_st_sm

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
    Having had a few fragile moments in my life, I have no wish at all to watch a portrayal of someone falling to bits till they step off the back of their boat.
    Anyone that owns a boat must be insane anyway
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    I thought the film A Hijacking was better: more emotive, tenser, more culturally realistic, less Hollywood crass. Itís in Danish but subtitled and with most of the screenplay in the marine international language of English anyway. Available online and a good watch. Just donít watch it while sailing up the Thames estuary after dark as I did...
    +1

Captain Philips is pure Hollywood with the US Navy coming to the rescue and a happy ending, which unfortunately rarely happens in the real world.

A Hijacking is by far the better film and also captures the tensions at both ends of the phone - and does not have a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    I thought the film A Hijacking was better: more emotive, tenser, more culturally realistic, less Hollywood crass. Itís in Danish but subtitled and with most of the screenplay in the marine international language of English anyway. Available online and a good watch. Just donít watch it while sailing up the Thames estuary after dark as I did...
    A Hijacking was far better, providing you ignored the cast was mainly from Borgen

Quote Originally Posted by snooks View Post
    I've seen it, it's a good film. Much better than the steaming pile of poo that was All is Lost..
    Couldn't agree more about All is Lost.. what a dope... seriously.. he deserved everything he got...
    ..except for being rescued.. LOL

Clearly a movie made by people who knew shag all about sailing...

Anyone seen the new Adrift (2018) movie? Will probably be another one to hate...

Has there ever been a decent yachting movie? (as opposed to tallships like Master & Commander)

Anyone seen Wind (1992) or Turning Tide (1993) ??

Just saw Open waters 2: adrift. Could so easily happen! I’d swear I saw an anchor cable though near the end.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast