Page 1 of 94 1234561151 ... LastLast

Default Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

Not much forthcoming from the Greek Government but our contacts in the Greek Marina Association have updated us on what they think is happening.
    During the summer the Bill went back to Parliament with new charge rate of €10 per meter above 12 meters, raised from €8, despite the iniquity of huge jump in cost from 11.99 to 12.00.
    That was rejected and the new price coming before the parliament at the moment is back to the €8 per meter. We at the CA, will continue to raise our voices in complaint that it is too expensive.
    However there has apparently been one concession driven by the Marina Association - which of course was worried about the very big boats - in that the tax will only apply when cruising - ie when you leave your port. We haven't seen the new definition yet as it was only conceded yesterday. I just wonder how they will enforce that. Its fairly obvious how that will benefit the big boats on occasional charter.
    This however leaves us with our original complaints totally unanswered, but that was as expected as the real work starts when they have to do the implementation plan.
    Just to remind you of the rates
    Length Meters - scroll right at the bottom of the table - I cant get it to show correctly Monthly Charge € 6 months 12 months less discount * discount Annual charge
    7 to 8 meters 16 96 192 10% 19 173
    8 to 10 25 150 300 10% 30 270
    10 to 12 33 198 396 10% 40 356
    12.01 meters 96 576 1153 10% 115 1038
    13 meters 104 624 1248 10% 125 1123
    14 meters 112 672 1344 10% 134 1210
    15 meters 120 720 1440 10% 144 1296
    * Discount only available if taken out in Jan 1 for the year.

The law will be passed back once passed to the Shipping Ministry for Implementation. There are so many unknowns, for instance will it be 1st to 30th of each month or by calender date (much better)?
    I think we are going to have to shout very loud this time to be heard.
    My personal opinion is that the rates are too high above 12 meters, with a 12m boat paying €3.00 per day. In relation to the Croatian Sojurn tax - they seem to be level pegging.
    So will boats of 11.99 meters now be going for a premium?
    To be honest, I don't think we will now have any weight in changing the charges, but what is important is that we ensure its not a pain in the bottom for us to comply, so I think that is where I will put my time.
    All ideas welcome by the way - also I sometimes need better translations than google will do, as all the Greek Government replies to me are in Greek, which is not exactly helpful!

Default Re: Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

Little bit lost chris .
    { So will boats of 11.99 meters now be going for a premium?}
    The higher rate is 12.01 , am I correct ?
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    [However there has apparently been one concession driven by the Marina Association - which of course was worried about the very big boats - in that the tax will only apply when cruising - ie when you leave your port. We haven't seen the new definition yet as it was only conceded yesterday. I just wonder how they will enforce that. Its fairly obvious how that will benefit the big boats on occasional charter

Also can't see how they will enforce this, how will they know when we are in our port or not. I suppose they may say it only applies to those in marinas and then leave it to marina staff to check each day, but that seems a recipe for confusion (what happens if you are cruising for 2 days out of the month etc) and will not help those not in marinas.

Cruising the Greek Islands from April 2015

Are these proposed charges going to be +vat at 24% ?

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Little bit lost chris .
    { So will boats of 11.99 meters now be going for a premium?}
    The higher rate is 12.01 , am I correct ?
    Vic - tongue in cheek about the 11.99 boat being cheaper - so maybe people will prefer them...

Higher rate is actually at 12.0 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by jordanbasset View Post
    Also can't see how they will enforce this, how will they know when we are in our port or not. I suppose they may say it only applies to those in marinas and then leave it to marina staff to check each day, but that seems a recipe for confusion (what happens if you are cruising for 2 days out of the month etc) and will not help those not in marinas.
    I can see how it may be done for Superyachts, but totally in the dark about how that can be translated for us cruising fraternity. I will chase up a copy of the new Bill, but it is unlikely to go into detail - thats for the implementation stage.

What we will be watching for is any difference in treatment between super yachts and us. That would be illegal under EU law (yes we are still in!) and a complaint through the commission may be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanjo View Post
    Are these proposed charges going to be +vat at 24% ?
    It is described as a "Duty" not a service therefore VAT is not chargeable. However the word DUTY makes me wonder if its outside EU Customs law.......

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    Vic - tongue in cheek about the 11.99 boat being cheaper - so maybe people will prefer them...

Higher rate is actually at 12.0 meters.
    That's awfully tough on anyone whose boat is officially listed as 12.3 metres LOA.......

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    That's awfully tough on anyone whose boat is officially listed as 12.3 metres LOA.......
    Its not just tough - its effing stupid

The actual duty levels even for 12m+ don't seem unreasonable. I guess they have decided that the 12m step is the point at which a boat becomes a "luxury yacht". Funny thing is, 20 or 30 years ago we would probably have agreed with them, but it looks a bit odd today.
    Fools know they are right.

Page 1 of 94 1234561151 ... LastLast