Page 10 of 93 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast

Default Re: Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

Quote Originally Posted by Nanjo View Post
    I'm guessing it's too early for a correct answer. But, I live onboard all year. From November to April I'm on a jetty, and do not move. Will this count as 'Out of use' so I don't pay the tax?
    Yes, I expect it will. But you will need to hand in the papers to Port Police. If its customs (as for non EU flagged boats, then they will expect you not to use it at all as it will be in bond...... This would be against EU customs union rules for EU flagged boats.

I doubt whether we will get this level of clarity in the early stages.

Cruising the Greek Islands from April 2015

Thanks for the quick reply Chris, and everything your doing for us in Greece.

I'm guessing it's too early for a correct answer. But, I live onboard all year. From November to April I'm on a jetty, and do not move. Will this count as 'Out of use' so I don't pay the tax?
    We successfully argued this when checking out at Preveza at the end of April 2017. Our friends also were able to argue that their time spent in a Marina in Kos was 'out of use' but in all cases, we were left with the understanding that they were doing us a favor and that this was not strictly the way things were supposed to be done. Note that in our case we were arguing against the 6 months use in a 12 month period rule for a non EU vessel that may or may not be a legitimate rule!

It will be interesting to see whether this actually is the case or whether it remains a matter of chance as far as who you deal with and what their interpretation of the rules are. That's the beauty of Greece I guess.

PT

As you say too early to say ,
    my guess being on a jetty and I take it you mean by that a private jetty I some how don't think you get away with it,
    plus if your living on board not sure that is class out of use.
    Which bring us all to another problem for full time live aboard , even if your in the marina not sure if that's going to be class as out of use, while living on board , which could mean people who winter out in Greece will still have to pay tax while their living on board even if the boat don't leave the Marina for the winter six months.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    Yes, I expect it will. But you will need to hand in the papers to Port Police. If its customs (as for non EU flagged boats, then they will expect you not to use it at all as it will be in bond...... This would be against EU customs union rules for EU flagged boats.

I doubt whether we will get this level of clarity in the early stages.
    I would like to think your right Chris , but if your still living on board , how that class out of use.
    Not making an agreement here , just saying.
    The two don't go to gather , even so if a boat can be left on a jetty and class out of use, what stop people leaving them on anchor while being looked after by a local Guy.
    I wouldn't be surprise the meaning of out of use is while they are in a marina or on land and while there no one on board .
    Only time will tell .

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    I would like to think your right Chris , but if your still living on board , how that class out of use.
    Not making an agreement here , just saying.
    The two don't go to gather , even so if a boat can be left on a jetty and class out of use, what stop people leaving them on anchor while being looked after by a local Guy.
    I wouldn't be surprise the meaning of out of use is while they are in a marina or on land and while there no one on board .
    Only time will tell .
    Out of use, is going to be defined by handing in your papers. The Greek Marina association was so concerned about a clear definition that they got a concession "out of use " is when you are not Cruising. I am hoping that we will have significant info in 2 weeks.

One thing that really pisses me off is the use of the calendar month - ie 1st to 30th. We will be pulling out on July 7th to go home till september. I will have to pay for a full month. At the start of the season I will be launching on the 21st May. SO I will have to pay 3 months. If I was over 12 meters I would be spitting blood.

I would hope that every one will have a row with the PP each time this happens - making their life extremely unpleasant - this may be the only way to change things

Out of use, is going to be defined by handing in your papers. The Greek Marina association was so concerned about a clear definition that they got a concession "out of use " is when you are not Cruising. I am hoping that we will have significant info in 2 weeks.

One thing that really pisses me off is the use of the calendar month - ie 1st to 30th. We will be pulling out on July 7th to go home till september. I will have to pay for a full month. At the start of the season I will be launching on the 21st May. SO I will have to pay 3 months. If I was over 12 meters I would be spitting blood.

I would hope that every one will have a row with the PP each time this happens - making their life extremely unpleasant - this may be the only way to change things
    unfortunately Southern Europe culture don't mind conflict, actually they kind of like conflicts. North-Western cultures tend to prefer consensus or fact-based discussions (with the exception of discussions on the web .)
    Have a look at this

Quote Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
    unfortunately Southern Europe culture don't mind conflict, actually they kind of like conflicts. North-Western cultures tend to prefer consensus or fact-based discussions (with the exception of discussions on the web .)
    Have a look at this
    Interesting! I think I must be a mismatch for the UK! And yes, the only successes I have had with Greek officialdom is when you shout at them..... Ask nicely and they ignore you!

Interesting! I think I must be a mismatch for the UK! And yes, the only successes I have had with Greek officialdom is when you shout at them..... Ask nicely and they ignore you!
    Yes I also find once I start getting high rate they tend to back down,

If you really want to annoy them,;
    Ask closed questions and demand that they answer with yes/no
    Ask the following closed questions “do you agree that these are the facts: (list)”
    Use the following statement “I understand that this might feel that it is an emotional issue, however you just agreed to the following facts”

If you use Judo and pivot back to facts and indicate that if they cannot handle a factual discussion you are forced to go to a higher person, with whom, btw, you had dinner/drinks/lunch with not long ago, they will go either apeshit or give up

Page 10 of 93 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast