Page 6 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111656 ... LastLast

Default Re: Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

Don't know if this helps.

[QUOTEQuote
    The Greek Parliament has agreed legislation which, upon implementation, will introduce a tax which will apply to boats (except boats of less than 7m in length) in Greek Territorial Waters regardless of the vessel's flag state or the nationality of the owner.

Although the legislation includes basic details of the amounts that will be payable, it leaves the reader with many questions about what it will mean in reality.

There is currently neither a comprehensive explanation available of how the tax will be applied in practice nor a timetable for its implementation. As and when definitive information becomes available we will publish it on this page.

This is not the first time the Greek Parliament has agreed legislation which was intended to introduce such a tax. In 2013 similar legislation was agreed and at that time the RYA, through its membership of the European Boating Association (which represents 1.5 million boaters across Europe and of which the RYA is a founder member), wrote to the European Commission to express concern that the tax appeared to conflict with the Commission’s efforts to encourage recreational boat tourism within the EU. The RYA also sought the Commission’s views on whether the tax was compatible with EU taxation laws. The European Commission reviewed the Greek legislation and concluded that the tax did not contravene EU law.

http://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advi...s/greece.aspx][/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Yes Chris that's what I thought,
    that's why I asked to point me to where he read it .
    Agree. However the law is stating that the tax is payable 12/2017 onwards. However indeed as usually in GR you take these things relaaxed and wait. a friend has called the PP and they dont have a clue either yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vasant View Post
    Agree. However the law is stating that the tax is payable 12/2017 onwards. However indeed as usually in GR you take these things relaaxed and wait. a friend has called the PP and they dont have a clue either yet.
    I think this is the third time over all the years I sailed in Greece that they was talk of a tax, this last one started 3 years ago I think, and so far still nothing, it may come in this year, but I wouldn't be surprise if it didn't .
    Personally I stop worrying about it, just took a few precautions in case it does,
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

The laway is now in the hands of the shipping ministry which can now alter any part of it under powers granted in the legislation.

The CA has put forward a detailed request on implementation. Things like.
    Make monthly from date of starting to cruise. You can imagine the queues if it's 1st to 31st.!

Updates will be posted on the CA public pages as and when available.

As well as TEPAI:
    "Another issue causing controversy is a marina levy on recreational watercraft sailing under foreign flags. Private boats, the majority owned by foreign nationals, make up 75 percent of all recreational craft. The tax will be imposed on an annual basis despite limited boat use."

If by "foreign" they mean non-Greek (as opposed to non-EU), then I suspect there's going to be a serious case of deja vu. Patently illegal. It probably wouldn't make Chris Robb's Christmas any better since, if memory serves, he was instrumental in getting the last such measure kicked out.

Have a good one, Chris, and thanks for all you help over the years.
    All epigrams are false

There is a new tax that was not in anything sent to the CA:

Another issue causing controversy is a marina levy on recreational watercraft sailing under foreign flags. Private boats, the majority owned by foreign nationals, make up 75 percent of all recreational craft. The tax will be imposed on an annual basis despite limited boat use.

What will they think of next. My contact at the Ministry of Shipping says no date has been set, they have only just got the bill back from Parliament for them to start work on the implementation - I have a call booked for 8th January. But nothing would surprise me as it is like trying to find an NHS dentist and then pulling teeth out getting anywhere with this Greek government and being sure your contact is right.

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    As well as TEPAI:
    "Another issue causing controversy is a marina levy on recreational watercraft sailing under foreign flags. Private boats, the majority owned by foreign nationals, make up 75 percent of all recreational craft. The tax will be imposed on an annual basis despite limited boat use."

If by "foreign" they mean non-Greek (as opposed to non-EU), then I suspect there's going to be a serious case of deja vu. Patently illegal. It probably wouldn't make Chris Robb's Christmas any better since, if memory serves, he was instrumental in getting the last such measure kicked out.

HA Ha - we both got there at the same time! I am just emailing the Greek Marina Association chairman for some input on this. But as you say - this might be that we visit the Commission's Complaints Service which Kyboshed the Greeks last infringement on Temporary Import.

Just looking forward to next years sailing - planning to get back to Petros' boat yard around 20th May.

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    As well as TEPAI:

This would have been a good April fool! Just bad reporting thank God.

Word from the Greek Marina Association is that yachts left afloat in a Marina will avoid payment of the TEPAI when owners are not aboard. As yet there is no clarification as to how this will work and I doubt if they could put it into action by the end of Jan without clarity on some of these things.

Any news, good or bad, as decisions need to be made.
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

Page 6 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111656 ... LastLast