Page 9 of 93 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast

Default Re: Greek Cruising Tax update from the CA

Quote Originally Posted by silver-fox View Post
    We spent 5 months cruising in Greece last sumer spending something the region of £15000 ( including family visits). Our overwintering costs plus some maintenance/ refit will take that to £25000. The VAT tax take on that was 24%, roughly £4800 as well as the obvious commercial benefits to the area.

As a result of the introduction of this new tax, we shall cruise one more season in Greece and then leave, much sooner than planned. The Greek authorities tax take from us will be much lower because of this tax. Whilst I don't think for a moment the tax will affect the charter business, I suspect other cruising yachtsman will also vote with their feet but whether in sufficient numbers to cause a rethink( like in Sardinia) remains to be seen.

I respect the right of the Greek government to introduce any tax it chooses. In this case it doesn't seem to be a wise or productive one.....but what do I Know?
    Although you or me leaving, some will say it isn't going to much different in the great scheme of things,
    I think the local economy will suffer in time , maybe not so much this year more next as the cost of yacht over 12 mts hit home,
    We in two minds if to return to Greece or head Back to North to Sardinia and the South France or even west out of the Med and back to Portugal, where not only there no taxes for cruising but better winds for sailing. It's really a shame as we loved sailing from one country to the next in the same seasons, but with Croatia new increases and the tax in Greece it's making more sense to sails in country where we not going to pay a large part of our Budget in taxes .
    Some will say , Greece still have lot of free anchorages, and so they do but so do other country's, the sad thing about all this is soon or later as people move around other country will come up with some kind of way to keep charging us , this will never end unless there a mass exit from these country , where they will think again,
    I for one can't see happening any time soon.
    Of cause for some like Jordanbasset , I have to say one of the nicest guys you could meet , with boat 10 mts and less the cost for now isn't going to break the bank, I say for now, as I willing to take bet if things stay as they are that cost too will go up in a few years time .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 25-01-18 at 08:38.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

I have to agree with the above being close to 14 metres I cannot justify the unnecessary cost of staying in Greece, this, is maybe the kick up the bum I needed to move on, however, Where is the best place? I did start another thread on Sailing areas but it was not supported very well.
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

Quote Originally Posted by IanCalling View Post
    Any idea how much money they are talking here?
    Length Meters Monthly Charge € 6 months 12 months less discount * discount Annual charge
    7 to 8 meters 16 96 192 10% 19 173
    8 to 10 25 150 300 10% 30 270
    10 to 12 33 198 396 10% 40 356
    Over 12 Meters the flat rate of €8 per meter per month applies on the whole length as stated in your ships papers.
    12.01 meters 96 576 1153 10% 115 1038
    13 meters 104 624 1248 10% 125 1123
    14 meters 112 672 1344 10% 134 1210
    15 meters 120 720 1440 10% 144 1296
    * Discount only available if taken out in Jan 1 for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by rtboss1 View Post
    I have to agree with the above being close to 14 metres I cannot justify the unnecessary cost of staying in Greece, this, is maybe the kick up the bum I needed to move on, however, Where is the best place? I did start another thread on Sailing areas but it was not supported very well.
    Bob - you may have to go east to Malaysia to get your cheap sailing. Hell of a distance

I still think that Greece - especially the Aegean side where you scarcely ever get charged for berthing is still cheaper than any of the conventional areas, - but what about Galacia as a 1 year sail....

Lucky I am 11.95 metres

Hi Chris,

Just to clarify

The charge is based on the length stated on your ship's papers - is that correct? ie not the actual true life overall length.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post
    Bob - you may have to go east to Malaysia to get your cheap sailing. Hell of a distance

I still think that Greece - especially the Aegean side where you scarcely ever get charged for berthing is still cheaper than any of the conventional areas, - but what about Galacia as a 1 year sail....

Lucky I am 11.95 metres

Yay 11.40

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
    Hi Chris,

Just to clarify

The charge is based on the length stated on your ship's papers - is that correct? ie not the actual true life overall length.
    Length on the SSR. dont ask.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Robb View Post

Lucky I am 11.95 metres
    Yes Chris you are correct, in, I dont pay a lot of berthing fees, probably less than most. I think the only place I paidlast year was is Ermioni and Porta Heli and I have now found out a way of not having to pay there too.( Legally)
    I may be having a lot of work carried out on my boat so it might finish smaller than the original size.
    never confuse education with intelligence
    Sailing the Aegean

We thoroughly enjoyed exploring the Ionian and found it delightful - once we got over the shock of how crowded it was! Next year it will be the Aegean and then who knows? We will probably head back west again or maybe Turkey.

On the subject of cost savings, I was surprised at how many people just consider using 4 or 5 marinas in the Ionian as a base and complain about the high costs. We had a good look around (thanks for the tips RTBoss1) and found that there were some very good local suppliers charging much less.
    “Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it’s the only one you have.”
    (French philosopher Emile Chartier)

http://Yacht.silverfox.googlepages.com

Cruising the Greek Islands from April 2015

I'm guessing it's too early for a correct answer. But, I live onboard all year. From November to April I'm on a jetty, and do not move. Will this count as 'Out of use' so I don't pay the tax?

Page 9 of 93 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast