Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    boat conwy
    Posts
    2,026

    Default buying home or abroard

    so if you find a boat ,one at home and one away both the same spec etc how much cheaper should the one away be before you go to all the hassle, buying abroad cheers roy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    12,945

    Default Re: buying home or abroard

    Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    so if you find a boat ,one at home and one away both the same spec etc how much cheaper should the one away be before you go to all the hassle, buying abroad cheers roy
    For me it would depend on where it is (i.e. how easy it is to view and how cheap it would be to get it back to the UK) and also what the broker and paperwork are like.

    Also, how much you value your time and sanity! Plus how much appetite you have for risk.

    Incidentally, you say "same spec", I would suggest that the same "condition" is unlikely unless you chance upon a boat that has been cherished.
    Last edited by petem; 17-11-17 at 18:51.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    2,308

    Default Re: buying home or abroard

    I guess it will depend on the buyer and what is important to them. For me price, condition, provenance and service history are all factors to be considered. Hassle and expense in completing the purchase and getting the boat home would also be considerations so balancing all of those would lead me to a conclusion but speaking hypothetically it is difficult to say what that would be. Price would be an important factor though as we only buy if the price is right because we don’t have money to burn.

    As a real world example, when we bought our last boat (Broom 41) we had an option of one in Holland and one locally. The local boat was in ‘showroom’ condition and the one in Holland looked tidy in the pictures but not quite as good as the local one. Had bigger engines though. Negotiated price difference between the two put the local boat at around 12% more than the Dutch boat. Condition of the local boat combined with it being a stock boat with a warranty from an excellent Broker (NYA) won the day.
    Last edited by Greg2; 18-11-17 at 09:30.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- SoF
    Posts
    2,962

    Default Re: buying home or abroard

    Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    so if you find a boat ,one at home and one away both the same spec etc how much cheaper should the one away be before you go to all the hassle, buying abroad cheers roy
    Cheap enough to mitigate all the travel expenses and repatriation costs .

    In the real world there arn,t “ both the same spec “ .One home another far away for much less + repatriation fees.

    So some other factor(s) comes into play as mentioned above , condition , SH history , provenance Hrs etc .+ much more .
    Any how are you sure the cheapest is best, I mean ps explain the race to bottom re price of a SH boat ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    14,488

    Default Re: buying home or abroard

    Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    So some other factor(s) comes into play as mentioned above , condition , SH history , provenance Hrs etc .+ much more .
    Any how are you sure the cheapest is best, I mean ps explain the race to bottom re price of a SH boat ?
    Positively +1.
    The OP question is purely theoretical, hence irrelevant in practice, imho.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    boat conwy
    Posts
    2,026

    Default Re: buying home or abroard

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Positively +1.
    The OP question is purely theoretical, hence irrelevant in practice, imho.
    Not really as if say you like two boats , even different models but the one abroad is cheaper then there are factors that can make he uk one cheaper , so what I was looking for was what sort of percentage. Difference you need

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    14,488

    Default Re: buying home or abroard

    Well, I understood your "both the same spec etc" sentence as implying two identical boats - hence my reply.
    The assumption you are now making is somewhat different, but fwiw I still don't have a sensible answer to your question.
    I went through a rather extensive used boat search lately, seeing literally several dozens of boats.
    But whether they were abroad or not has never been a criteria - and also how far or close they were (within reason).
    After all, if a boat is far from where you are planning to use her, it's just an opportunity to make a bit of cruising...
    But that's me, of course!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,927

    Default Re: buying home or abroard

    Hopefully its a long term purchase, so the condition and the correct boat is far more important than saving a few %
    If you are trying to save money, dont buy a boat.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ever sunny Cornwall
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: buying home or abroard

    Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    so if you find a boat ,one at home and one away both the same spec etc how much cheaper should the one away be before you go to all the hassle, buying abroad cheers roy
    Well, I’ve just bought a Channel Island 32 which is in SW Finland. It wasn’t particularly cheaper than perhaps it would have been in the UK. The boat is very good and I’ve been over & sea trialed her. Nothing of a similar spec currently available in the UK. I did initially consider the fact that she’s 1,300 nautical miles away from home a negative point, however I now see that as providing me with a free-of-charge once in a lifetime experience, should I leave her there until next Spring & motor her home over a period of a couple or three weeks.
    Basically YOLO.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    29,098

    Default Re: buying home or abroard

    Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    Not really as if say you like two boats , even different models but the one abroad is cheaper then there are factors that can make he uk one cheaper , so what I was looking for was what sort of percentage. Difference you need
    There are so many variables it is impossible to give a %age. You have to do an individual sum to arrive at the total cost of buying and getting the boat to where you want to use it, including all the related costs such as travel and any administrative costs. You then like any other consumer choice decide which one is better value to you.

    As a generality, buying boat in Europe now is poorer value than it was, say 2 years ago simply because of the drop in the value of the . Buying a boat in southern Europe if you want it in the UK is also generally not a good deal as the cost ost of moving, particularly a lower value boat offsets any lower price - made worse by the poor exchange rate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Boats For Sale

to
to