Default Boat registration

At the moment our boat just has the name on the stern, and I have a feeling it should have the port of registration as well. The boat was originally registered in George Town, in the Cayman Islands, but was removed from the register in 2007, and I can find nothing in the paperwork to suggest it has been reregistered. She is on the small ships register, but not part 1. Do I need a name on the stern, and if I do, can I just choose anywhere?

Thanks

Default Re: Boat registration

Quote Originally Posted by richardh10 View Post
    At the moment our boat just has the name on the stern, and I have a feeling it should have the port of registration as well. The boat was originally registered in George Town, in the Cayman Islands, but was removed from the register in 2007, and I can find nothing in the paperwork to suggest it has been reregistered. She is on the small ships register, but not part 1. Do I need a name on the stern, and if I do, can I just choose anywhere?
    If the boat is registered you have to follow the rules relating to the registration. Other than that, you can do what you want. SSR, as far as I know, only requires the number to be displayed somewhere.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by richardh10 View Post
    She is on the small ships register, but not part 1. Do I need a name on the stern
    No. Just the SSR number at the prescribed size.

If you want to also write a place name on your transom there's nothing stopping you, can be anywhere whether real or fictional, but it would be nothing to do with the registration. Most SSR boats don't display any port.

Pete

The SSR does not have a home or registered port as part of the certificate. Overseas, this can cause minor problems as generally speaking it is expected that a boat will have a registered port. We get round this never ending glitch by having Falmouth on her stern and a sticker on the SSR certificate stating that her home port is Falmouth. We could have chosen any port: when we set off from UK on our travels, we'd moored her on the Menai Straits at Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch but we decided that was way too long and complicated so settled on Falmouth instead (our port of departure from U.K.)