Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux at sea

Default Re: Linux at sea

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHooter View Post
    … Has anyone actually bought the S63 licence from O-Charts, bought an Admiralty vector chart, and successfully run it in OpenCPN with Linux as the OS?
    Hope you don't think I'm splitting hairs - that's a vector chart you are linking to.
    I am looking for raster charts that will run in OpenCPN on Linux.
    Make your mind up!

Has anyone actually bought the S63 licence from O-Charts, bought an Admiralty vector chart, and successfully run it in OpenCPN with Linux as the OS?
    The OpenCPN developers are active on www.CruisersForum.com - if you post in the appropriate subforum there, an OpenCPN developer will often reply.

Considering the number of OpenCPN users in the world, I'd have thought it was almost certain that someone has bought vector charts and licence from O-Charts and successfully run it in OpenCPN with Linux as the OS, just not necessarily Admiralty ones (but perhaps Mediterranean or Caribbean ones instead).

Quote Originally Posted by Strolls View Post
    Make your mind up!
    Oops. I meant raster in both posts.

'Windows10 is causing problems for so many people.'

I've never met anyone who has a problem with W10.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    'Windows10 is causing problems for so many people.'

I've never met anyone who has a problem with W10.
    Really?
    There is a case where W10 updates have screwed up OpenCPN chart registrations.
    Imagine if that happened at sea!
    And that is just one example.

Watching this. I have a 2 screen helm running windows 10 at the moment but unhappy that it decides to shutdown without warning and install a million updates taking 3 hours. It does function quite quickly only because it is running from a posh new Intel CPU, the old PC took a while to get going.

I have a 3rd screen added in the saloon for TV, media, etc that is also run from the ships PC. Normally use kodi or Spotify so would need these on a Linux flavour. I know Kodi works but not yet explored Spotify.

I am currently using the VMH charts although I only really do localish cruising, day or long weekend stuff so an accurate vector chart is acceptable.

The boat has a full N2k network which interfaces though an Actisense. I also have a Garmin chart plotter in the lower helm to finish fitting which interfaces with the N2k network.

To be honest, everything I run apart from the ships PC is Mac so to lose the last Windows link would be a a big bonus.
    Last edited by matthewriches; 09-12-17 at 07:57. Reason: spelling!
    Electrics & electronics Suffolk & Southwold Boatyard
    Custom Panels + Eberspacher/Webasto

Quote Originally Posted by matthewriches View Post
    To be honest, everything I run apart from the ships PC is Mac so to lose the last Windows link would be a a big bonus.
    kodi, spotify and opencpn all run on mac. Whilst my only experience with the o-charts for the UK is on Linux, they're supposed to work for Mac so if that's your weapon of choice, why bring Linux into the mix? The antisense ngw-1 seems to claim to bundle mac drivers.

I run Navigatrix on board --all my other work and home computers are some flavour of Linux -- but I love the way everything just works on Navigatrix first time with no fiddling. It is a Linux distribution by and for cruisers. Even Windows programs like AirMail are already packaged so they run in Wine neatly (you dont even notice they are windows programs). I dont have the answer to the UK Windows only chart software that will not run under wine. Its a shame but not enough to get me allow Billy "Blue Screen of Death" Gates on my boat. Navgatrix has a great support community. Upgrading tends to be a bit "all or nothing", they put so much work in to getting everything to work well on one release and testing it its hard to just upgrade one package.

Tui's My Oyster Blog http://tuioyster.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Although it works, as a pure plotter, the RPi isn't really fast enough.
    Using the experimental hardware driver, Opencpn is plenty fast enough on a Pi 3 IMHO. New raspbian stretch looks like it might be OK without the driver as well, the driver isn't perfect and can occasionally leave a bit of a mess on the screen.
    http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2503127

Word on the Openplotter street is that they are hoping to get a stretch based image released before xmas. Though I suspect they might be a bit busy getting the new Ais/Gps/Baro,compass add on board "hats" ready for release =>
    http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=868

Quote Originally Posted by matthewriches View Post
    Watching this. I have a 2 screen helm running windows 10 at the moment but unhappy that it decides to shutdown without warning and install a million updates taking 3 hours. It does function quite quickly only because it is running from a posh new Intel CPU, the old PC took a while to get going.

I have a 3rd screen added in the saloon for TV, media, etc that is also run from the ships PC. Normally use kodi or Spotify so would need these on a Linux flavour. I know Kodi works but not yet explored Spotify.

I am currently using the VMH charts although I only really do localish cruising, day or long weekend stuff so an accurate vector chart is acceptable.

The boat has a full N2k network which interfaces though an Actisense. I also have a Garmin chart plotter in the lower helm to finish fitting which interfaces with the N2k network.

Never tried Spotify under Linux but I've just finished a couple of weeks updating my various Kodi boxes.
    One was a Linux Mint XFCE build - Kodi does seem to initially work but you get all kinds of errors when installing Addons - the solution fof me was to remove some Python stuff that I think wss added using this command:
    sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
    This install is suggested in the oficial Kodi install instructions.
    It may not have been installed with that command but I removed it using this command
    sudo apt-get remove python-openssl python-cryptography python-setuptools python-pkg-resources curl
    And now Kodi is working really well under Linux Mint XFCE
    Even all the Addons - Covenant - UK Turk and iPlayerwww etc.
    These notes might help someone - it took me several hours to find a solution.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast