Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Euro Ensign

Default The Med is OUR sea...

Come next saturday I will have lived here for 58 years and it was only last summer that I saw some idiot flying what you describe. It was in a visitor's berth and I thought "Ah! That's interesting. That must be the first boat from the COOK ISLANDS to visit Malta!"
    It was only then that I realised that the colour of the stars was wrong and that there were too many of them.
    At that stage I thought what a sorry wretch the owner must be to feel more european than a citizen of whatever country he comes from originally!
    Fair winds!

<hr width=100% size=1>Wally
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Robin is offline Registered User

Default Re: Euro Ensign

<blockquote><font size=1>Quote from previous post:</font><hr>

Ensign or flag the real gist of the thread is about perceptions of the EU

<hr></blockquote>

That is not true at all im my case, I hate the use by some Cornish boats of a home made Cornish ensign just as much. It too is illegal flown as an ensign.

I hope that these responses have not put off a potential good addition to the forum with lots of long distance and liveaboard expertise.

<hr></blockquote>

I somehow doubt the latter part of that, if it were indeed the case then I doubt he would have the same lack of knowledge about international maritime law that is apparent here. There are of course plenty of ex-pat liveaboards who simply bought the boat in situ, cottage in the sun so to speak.

As another post mentioned, I too strongly suspect this is a 'troll' and there is some use of multiple identities, against the rules of the forums. I may be wrong but....

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

WOW!

It seems a fella can't go away on a day's business without all hell letting loose in his absense - if he leaves the word, 'ensign' behind on a YBW forum. It seems my using the word 'ensign' has caused a mass rise in blood pressure. So I take back the word 'ensign' and replace it with 'flag'. My request therefore was simple; "Does anyone know where I can get a ...............................'flag' etc.

So now let's ask me who I am and why we want it!

Well I am a Brit and with my wife (also a Brit) we share a 55 foot ketch with another Brit couple; all kindred spirits. We live and sail in the Med. and for the past few years have flown said Euro "flag". Our existing one is getting a little tatty and we decided to get a new one. Thus my request.

We fly it because we like it. Its a nice flag, it has a nice colour combination with the union jack in its corner. More importantly, it is a refreshing flag, a new flag of promise, of hope for the future. So whilst it may not be 'legal' or 'recognised' in Britain, it certainly is acceptable here and, no doubt will soon be officially 'recognised' also.

Sailing is our pleasure, our pastime, our means of relaxation and we do not wish to use our boat to make serious political statements, particularly if such statements have associations with a war ridden past we would all sooner forget. So we fly our Euro/UK flag 'gently', as a flag of peace and promise!

We have made Europe our home and we are all agreed that we stand behind the prospect of a United Europe (with or without Britain); we feel it is where the future in these parts lie and despite all your poisonous remarks about Europe (spurred on, no doubt by petty jeolosies), we are comfortable with our stand, and at ease with our position. We do not feel 'less British' because we fly this flag. Quite the contary, we feel more British - and feel we portray a better type of 'Britishness'!

So, why have we not thought of flying a red (or blue) ensign? Because there is too much political (and social) 'statement' attached to it - and there is too much history, much of it bloody history, attached to it. There is more than a hint of unfriendlyness associated with it, and, as Dove suggests, these ensigns seem to promote unfriendlyness and divisions even between yourselves.

Every Tom Dick and Ali flies the Red Ensign. It is used and absurdly abused! To us it has lost any true meaning it ever had. Go into the 'posh ports' of the Med. and take note: at least 50% of the Red Ensigns you will see, mainly on 'Gin Palaces', are flown by rich foreigners, often from the Gulf oil states, for one sort of personal gain or another, - nothing whatsoever to do with allegiences.

So, we therefore prefare to fly a flag of hope and promise for the future, with no strings attached. After all, the future is more important than the past, is it not. This flag you all hate so much may or may not be "legal" just yet - but never, ever in three years sailing with it in Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Tunisia have we been stopped, pulled in or interferred with in any way for wearing it. Indeed since about 35% of European sailors down here are using Euro ensigns, sorry, flags, with their national flag in the corner, the jails of the Med. could well be overflowing with 'law-breakers' - if all you say were true. Not so! In fact, it has to be said that rather than being apprehended, told-off or taken-in, we have, instead, noticed a marked difference in attitude towards us since we have flown this flag. In France, Spain, Italy, and Greece, we have noticed a distinct warming and a new type of friendship towards us. People who would have probably avoided us before, now invite us to party.

No, you stay with your flags, that's your right and we have no right to abuse you for it. BUT, we will stay with ours, thats our right - and you have no right to abuse us for it!

Thanks AFrogly for the information and thanks to the more enlightened few who sent in a more 'balanced' reply.

p.s Why are you all so chronically angry over there anyway?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default another irregular verb

I am a patriot
    You are xenophobic
    He is an out-and-out racist bigot.

(yes, of course it's a troll but he certainly stirred up the mud at the bottom of the pond, didn't he?)

<hr width=100% size=1>
    One hull good, two hulls better.

Absolute billhooks! You are typicical of the clueless hogwashers and weightwatchers that still roam this forum ranting on about weight equals stability. We have a Hunter (Legend) 326 which we have sailed through some of the most nototious waters in the Med, ie. the gulf de lion. the bouches de Rhone, cap corse etc. We have made many offshore passages in the boat. It has behaved magnificently and its stability is the most reassuring we have experienced on the five crusiers we have owned!
    Before the Hunter, we had a Moody 346 which we got rid of as soon as possible. It was heavy, sluggish, unstable and apt to be dangerous in a sea. At one point it nearly put us on the rocks due to its inability to tack well in a small sea and get some speed up. Technology has taken over from weight. Weight is 'old hat'! Our Hunter 326 tacks like a dream, has her skirts up in seconds, and is away as steady as a rock.
    Get with it, man - times have changed - ask any ocean racer!

<hr></blockquote>

I take it you have sold the Hunter since that post in June this year then?

<hr width=100% size=1><font size=1>Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and come with no warranty!</font size=1>
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

Oldhand is offline Registered User

Default Re: Blue Ensign for everyone!

Now you're talking!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sorry to dissappoint you, old sport, but whilst we do own a Hunter 326 as our personal boat we have, for ten years co-owned, co-shared and restored this lovely old classic ketch (1955) to its former glory - and with our co-owners have cruised it extensively throughout the Med, over an eight year period.

p.s. No, we still have the Hunter - we use it for racing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Sandwiched between dual identities

Between a post from Sundance and a post from Dove! I reply to Sundance (who talks about his 55 footer and copy/paste a previous SUNDANCE post from June 2004 about his Hunter 326 and up pops DOVE admitting to still owning said Hunter 326 that is supposedly owned by SUNDANCE.

Well which is it then Mr Troll? Does Sundance have the wings of a Dove or is Dove leading everyone a merry Sundance?

Multiple identities are against Forum rules. How many do you have?

Default Re: Sandwiched between dual identities

We are not a multiple identity. We are the co-owners of the ketch 'UMOJA'. We are all sitting on board her right now, which explains Sundances reply via our user name.
    The important thing to bear in mind is that the fundamental issue of this thread still stands, and that whilst the apparent bigotry and hatred that has emerged in the course of this interchange, may be encouraging for us, it portrays a very, very sad image of the mindset of those back home.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Default Bill and Ben then

Since you are posting apparently as separate individuals when in fact you are not because you are doing a little double act here. Is it a DOUBLE act by the way or a QUADRUPLE act, 2 persons or 2 couples even????

Yes you are absolutely right about the fundamental issue of the post:-

There is no such thing as a Euro Ensign. It simply does not exist in law.

Feel free to fly any flag you wish as a house flag or symbol or even as dirty washing, but not as a British Ensign if the boat is British registered and in foreign waters.

This is not (from me at least) bigotry or hatred or anything else, it is simply complying with International maritime law. This too becomes more important with a vessel of the size of yours where more regulations automatically apply, you may find at some stage officials enquiring about your false ensign could well start investigating if you fail to comply to other rules as well.

By the way, since you had such a 'flag' before presumably you could simply buy another from the same source as that one?

Fair winds. May your flags never droop.

Robin
    (the one and only)

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast