Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Quarter Berths, huh! What are they good for?

Quote Originally Posted by Humblebee View Post
    Couple more thoughts...
    We have a Westerly Longbow, one of the 31 footers. There is a ort side quarter berth with a sliding chart table occupying some of the head room there. I use the chart table for storing charts and the like but usually sit at the saloon table to do my planning.
    Also, we took out the quarter berth mattress to create a bit more storage space. A couple of milk crate sized plastic boxes now live in there, each with a bit of string leading into the cabin so they can be pulled out easily when we need into them. Great for storing dog food, cat food and cat litter. The cat litter tray sits at the front of the quarter berth nearest the saloon.
    "Cat litter tray", the mind boggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Humblebee View Post
    The cat litter tray sits at the front of the quarter berth nearest the saloon.
    That's seriously impressive. Shockingly few boats have a waste paper bin for the crew, let alone a separate one for the ship's mog!
    LM27 - The sailor's motor-sailer

My main concern with a quarter berth would be cramp. I've had it with my feet in the trotter box in the saloon on my Nic. Being stuffed down a quarter berth with agonized shins would be unbearable.

I used to use the quarter berth on a Westerly Konsort - not too difficult to get into, and indeed I have found that you can squeeze a second one in there ----- but that's another story, and I was quite a bit younger !
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_o_g View Post
    "The last time I slept in a quarter berth it took me about 5 minutes to get out..."
    You should try using the pilot berth on a Sigma 38. It's like getting into the luggage rack on a train. I did it ten years ago but couldn't now.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234