Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Source of 4 core tinned copper wire for LED Nav lights

Quote Originally Posted by BelleSerene View Post
    Hey, how's about four-core mains cable ...
    That's the Screwfix stuff I pointed at. It's used (I think) for lights with multiple switches, because each switch needs live, switched, other switched and earth.

That is intriguing. Are you saying that the current at different points in the same circuit is different?! Can you explain?!
    I think he means that you might get unbalanced currents in the parallel elements. Can't see that it would matter much for this application.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

That is intriguing. Are you saying that the current at different points in the same circuit is different?! Can you explain?!
    It was suggested that the neg was connected by a "sister" parallel cable to increase the csa and thus increase the current capability. Realise that if anyone of the connected tail ends exhibits a high resistance through say corrosion then the current will take the path of least resistance which could lead to overload of the single cable.

Quote Originally Posted by third engines View Post
    Bad news to parallel cable on one terminal. High resistance on one tail will cause more current on the other. Always use correctly rated single.
    Yes, I agree. It is not considered best practice to parallel cables to provide the required current carrying capacity. It’s all fine until one of the cables/connections fail and the remaining cable is still expected to carry the original current, which it may not be designed for or indeed fused for. One of the objections to the much used ring main used in 230V installations in the UK, is that if one leg fails the remaining two legs become wired as a radial and are not then fused correctly.
    I do some times parallel two cables up - if I have drawn a some SPARE cables through for future proofing, simply to minimise voltage drop. BUT only if the single cable in the pair is capable on its own to carry the required current. Cables are always numbered and the paper work shows this has been done. It’s simply I hate to see a cable “going spare”!
    Also, like lpdsn, I would check if you need 3 or 4 core cable. Of course, it all depends on the make up of the lights and how they are positioned on the mast

This thread is a classic PBO "how complicated can we make a simple job" thread.

If there was nothing designed to do the job, then we have to improvise. But there is a product perfectly designed for this situation, it's called "single core cable".

Four core makes no sense. You need two cores at the masthead and three half way up. If you use four core the neg has to be rated for all of the lights, which means the three positives will be over rated and you'll have two extra cores at the masthead, all a waste of money.

Run three positives to the mast and then to each light. Run a single negative into the mast, rated for all three lights then splice it so you have three negatives, one for each light, suitably rated. Make the wiring up on the deck and sip some heatshrink tube over it all at suitable intervals.

The RS One looks just the job - Can't believe i did not find that in the first place. - Many Thanks DickieT
    For everyone' info:
    The config will be this...

Mast Head - All round red over green (1m spacing) - Currently in build in my garage.
    Half Way Up - Steaming Light and Deck Light.

The plan is to run the cable to the top of the mast and break out 3 wires half way up.
    Then use the steaming light/deck light as a junction box to send the -ve on up to the top of the mast.

The Mast Head Light and the Steaming Light will NEVER go on together as I will have a relay that disconnects the mast head when the steaming light goes on.
    Mast head light will come on with the low level bow and stern light if the Steaming light is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Trayfoot View Post
    The RS One looks just the job - Can't believe i did not find that in the first place. - Many Thanks DickieT
    For everyone' info:
    The config will be this...

Mast Head - All round red over green (1m spacing) - Currently in build in my garage.
    Half Way Up - Steaming Light and Deck Light.

The plan is to run the cable to the top of the mast and break out 3 wires half way up.
    Then use the steaming light/deck light as a junction box to send the -ve on up to the top of the mast.

The Mast Head Light and the Steaming Light will NEVER go on together as I will have a relay that disconnects the mast head when the steaming light goes on.
    Mast head light will come on with the low level bow and stern light if the Steaming light is off.

I can't see the logic in buying four core cable, then stripping three cores out for half the length

I just fitted an LED tricolour where there was no light before. I didn't used tinned cable, I couldn't see it will ever get damp. Bought 15m of cable in our local electrical wholesaler, about £5.50. But then some say I'm a cheapskate.....
    Keep up to date with 'East Coast Pilot' at www.eastcoastpilot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    I can't see the logic in buying four core cable, then stripping three cores out for half the length
    Not planning to strip anything out.
    Just pull a few cm out half way up the mast, strip off the outer insulation and terminate the +ve's for the steaming light and deck light there...

Will never have more than 2 of the lights on at any one time - deck light plus either mast head or steaming.

I am now going to cost up single core v 4 core.

Whatever happens it will be tinned copper as the stuff i'm stripping out is just ordinary copper and it has gone black...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_Trayfoot View Post
    Not planning to strip anything out.
    Just pull a few cm out half way up the mast, strip off the outer insulation and terminate the +ve's for the steaming light and deck light there...

Will never have more than 2 of the lights on at any one time - deck light plus either mast head or steaming.

I am now going to cost up single core v 4 core.

Whatever happens it will be tinned copper as the stuff i'm stripping out is just ordinary copper and it has gone black...
    My boat has spreader (deck lights) 3/4 up mast and anchor/trilight at masthead. I simply run three core to the spreader lights (-ve and two paralled for spreader lights - re my “spare” core post earlier !) and a separate three core for the masthead light. All in 3 core flexi 0.5 csa untinned mains cable.
    Although I would always try and use tinned cable, this cable is protected at its ends with two layers of adhesive heat shrink and silicon grease over any terminals. Checked every year and now entering 35 years of use, so not doing too bad. If available at the time i would have used tinned. Personally I would avoid separate single strands of single core, mainly due to the lack of the extra protection an external sheath gives to multi core or simple mains cable. Its also a bit untidy. But....single core would be the cheapest way to go if you are happy to stick to the same colour for each core (recipe for confusion). To be honest I have seen so many short cut jobs that simply cause trouble and confusion over the years that doing it right first time pays dividends! Three core mains cable, preferably tinned, could be easiest and cheapest. Good luck, which ever system you go for.

I have used 12V Planet for tinned cable: https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/tinne...all-cable.html

They seem to do 3 core tinned but not 4. I would be inclined to run 2 core to the masthead and 3 to the steaming/deck light. I'd definately use tinned having tried to work with old copper cables.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123