Default Taylor parafin burners

Don't you dare read this and then not come back with a reply !

I Need Help.

Now then, one of my Taylor burners continues to leak, and that's even with the 'control knob' off.

Is it the bottom of the '6 Slot' cleaning needle component that shuts off the fuel coming up and out through the top of the 'main jet' ?

By the way, I have soaked the burner in ammonia to get rid of any carbon deposits.

Default Re: Taylor parafin burners

Quote Originally Posted by STATUE View Post
    Don't you dare read this and then not come back with a reply !

I Need Help.

Now then, one of my Taylor burners continues to leak, and that's even with the 'control knob' off.

Is it the bottom of the '6 Slot' cleaning needle component that shuts off the fuel coming up and out through the top of the 'main jet' ?

By the way, I have soaked the burner in ammonia to get rid of any carbon deposits.
    Yes it is !

potential problems are :

needle base not good, Burner Knackered( though you can bodge it by running appropriately sized drill bit backwards in order to re seat( Nigel Calder , from memory) You havnt counted the correct number of clicks on reassemble 4?

John

Quote Originally Posted by JVL View Post
    Yes it is !

potential problems are :

needle base not good, Burner Knackered( though you can bodge it by running appropriately sized drill bit backwards in order to re seat( Nigel Calder , from memory) You havnt counted the correct number of clicks on reassemble 4?

John
    Wow, I invented the same trick as Calder.
    Repeating the above, Leakage is either :

[a] Failure of valve to close due to damage. Either or both of the needle or the seat in the burner. Replacing the needle spindle is easy and worth a try.
    Reseating is a bit hit and miss. Following on from duplicating Calder's method I created a special seating tool out of an old spindle which I used with lapping paste.

Having said that, I never seem to have this problem these days. I think it is caused by overzealous shutting down with mank in the system. Maybe I have learned. The problem is that you really need to blow the system through with compressed air after any grinding etc. After 12 years I completely remade my stove with new tubes and burners because it seemed to misbehave randomly. It is behaving well now, but I have a love/hate relationship with it.

[b] if you are lucky, the problem is that the cleaning needle rack is bottoming out before closure and stopping closure. As stated, it may be just one tooth out after reassembly. Also check that you are using the right rack for your burner - there are two lengths.

.....or get a couple of the new type burners...
    http://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/ofen-...enner-hanse-n1

Quote Originally Posted by FWB View Post
    .....or get a couple of the new type burners...
    http://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/ofen-...enner-hanse-n1
    I sure agree with that. They are the best. Thank heavens for toplicht. I use only them. I also found it cheaper to get them from Germany than to source them in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet View Post
    I sure agree with that. They are the best. Thank heavens for toplicht. I use only them. I also found it cheaper to get them from Germany than to source them in the UK.
    HI ALL. - AND APOLOGIES FOR MY EARLIER ROBUST MANNER ....

.... but clearly it did work ! ... because you all gave me the most apposite & comprehensive response compared to those I have previously had on the subject.

Whole installation taken off boat to get to the bottom of this. Other burner and oven one working fine.

Again, thank you all.