Default Volvo Penta D3-160 System Electrical Fault Issue

Good day folks!

Greetings from tropical Indonesia!

Need your assistance on our D3-160A-B here. Just finished working on the D6-350's so now next up is our little 14' mahogany cruiser and she is having problems.
    We got the boat with only 2hrs on the clock years ago, after she was sitting for nearly 2 years unattended.

Anyhow, after we rebuilt her and get the engine going, we have had 'SYSTEM ELEC FAULT' on the EVC (this was around about 2014, a year after we got her) and she has been running absolutely fine with no problems, and can go up to top RPM, even with the fault on the EVC.

This season, she would only incrementally go up to 2700 PRM, before she drops her speed, and goes into 'Limp Mode' and maxed at 1500 RPM. Turn off the engine, start again, and I can push all the way to full RPM however would only last about a second before she drops RPM again. Max is at 2700RPM where she will cruise stable and not go into Limp Mode.

We have checked:
    -Diesel Primer ( no air, or leaks, push button does not soften up indicating any leaks present)
    -Changed filters (Racor, Fuel Filter)
    -Checked engine Oil-All OK
    -Checked whole EVC and HIU connections and cables- All OK
    -Battery seems to be OK aswell
    -Cleaned the diesel tank ( was some dirt on the filter so we cleaned up the tank)

We did have Vodia check it out, cant locate the results screenshot however it is for sure some electrical issue. It somehow detected that one of the components (either EVC or HIU) was overheating thus it goes into Limp Mode. However in reality, they were not overheating.
    When the problem appears, we shut down the engine, restart, and she can go full RPM, however after a couple of seconds, returns to Limp Mode.

Anyone had any similar experience? Despite the System Elec Fault code appeared, she still ran effortlessly, so it is a little bit of a mystery.

Appreciate your thoughts,
    Thank you
    Christopher

Default Re: Volvo Penta D3-160 System Electrical Fault Issue

the VP D3 has a variable vane turbo system,
    this system can become sticky from corrosion or .. (?)
    and than the engine goes in limb mode

by wiggling (pushing down a few times) the VV lever, you can get the system running again,
    its on the side of the turbo, (take off the cover) you can't miss it

our boat with D3's has very little use,
    after every winter we have this problem, and cure it by mending these VV turbo's,
    problem is, you can't put grease because the turbo's become hot.

I have been told that it is doable to take off the turbo, and clean it torrowly.

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    the VP D3 has a variable vane turbo system,
    this system can become sticky from corrosion or .. (?)
    and than the engine goes in limb mode

by wiggling (pushing down a few times) the VV lever, you can get the system running again,
    its on the side of the turbo, (take off the cover) you can't miss it

our boat with D3's has very little use,
    after every winter we have this problem, and cure it by mending these VV turbo's,
    problem is, you can't put grease because the turbo's become hot.

I have been told that it is doable to take off the turbo, and clean it torrowly.
    Oven cleaner is also very good it seems. Google is your friend. Audi have the same issues !

Quote Originally Posted by Lax207 View Post
    Good day folks!

Greetings from tropical Indonesia!

Need your assistance on our D3-160A-B here. Just finished working on the D6-350's so now next up is our little 14' mahogany cruiser and she is having problems.
    We got the boat with only 2hrs on the clock years ago, after she was sitting for nearly 2 years unattended.

Anyhow, after we rebuilt her and get the engine going, we have had 'SYSTEM ELEC FAULT' on the EVC (this was around about 2014, a year after we got her) and she has been running absolutely fine with no problems, and can go up to top RPM, even with the fault on the EVC.

This season, she would only incrementally go up to 2700 PRM, before she drops her speed, and goes into 'Limp Mode' and maxed at 1500 RPM. Turn off the engine, start again, and I can push all the way to full RPM however would only last about a second before she drops RPM again. Max is at 2700RPM where she will cruise stable and not go into Limp Mode.

We have checked:
    -Diesel Primer ( no air, or leaks, push button does not soften up indicating any leaks present)
    -Changed filters (Racor, Fuel Filter)
    -Checked engine Oil-All OK
    -Checked whole EVC and HIU connections and cables- All OK
    -Battery seems to be OK aswell
    -Cleaned the diesel tank ( was some dirt on the filter so we cleaned up the tank)

We did have Vodia check it out, cant locate the results screenshot however it is for sure some electrical issue. It somehow detected that one of the components (either EVC or HIU) was overheating thus it goes into Limp Mode. However in reality, they were not overheating.
    When the problem appears, we shut down the engine, restart, and she can go full RPM, however after a couple of seconds, returns to Limp Mode.

Anyone had any similar experience? Despite the System Elec Fault code appeared, she still ran effortlessly, so it is a little bit of a mystery.

Appreciate your thoughts,
    Thank you
    Christopher
    Sat 2 years. I’d be having a look at the turbo , exhaust vanes stuck

Bart W
    I used copper slip on my Mercruiser wastegate valve dont know if that would help your problem
    Last edited by stelican; 20-11-17 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by stelican View Post
    I used copper slip on my Mercruiser wastegate valve dont know if that would help your problem
    No wastegate on a D3 turbo .

yes I know!