Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quick poll

Default Quick poll

On a scale of 1-10 just how stupid is it for me to be very seriously considering buying a 30-40 foot boat to sail off into the sunset - single handed?
    For a little further information, I am fast approaching 55 years old and will therefore have access to a small private pension that with drawdown (ie using up the capital for say 20 years) will allow me to both purchase a vessel and provide maybe 1000 each month to run it and live on.
    I have some sailing experience but not a single piece of paper to my name. I dinghy sailed and raced to a reasonable level as a teenager and beyond. Then migrated to racing IOC yachts mostly coastal with a few longer trips. All of this was 20 years ago and apart from windsurfing and some motorboats I have not been afloat much in a long time.
    Thoughts are to try and find something reasonable at the 20-35K level allowing a few K to tidy up. Hopefully getting something over the winter with a view to actually departing these shores in the latter part of next year, after a few shakedown cruises.
    Hopefully head South initially but then picking up the trades and heading West (for who knows where).
    Would like genuine answers and interested in the scoring !

Default Re: Quick poll

Not stupid at all so my score will be zero. If you really want to do then just get on with it. You may not get another chance as old age and health issues approach. I don't know anything about your fallback arrangements in the UK after you've finished cruising but I assume you have thought this through already.
    Do it now before it's too late.

What was that Mark Twain quote about only regretting what you don't do.......

Sounds like one of the best ideas you'll ever have

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

Pretty much what we did, albeit as a couple. You might like to get an ICC before you set off, as some places will demand some sort of proof of competence. You'll also need a VHF certificate but neither of those are show stoppers.
    The only note of caution I'd sound is that you may struggle on 1000 a month. Whilst you can survive on that it is very much dependant on not needing to pay for marina fees and the like, eminently possible in some places, near impossible in others.
    Go for it and enjoy.

I'd advise 35ft,keeps you in the cheaper band in most marinas and gives room for two if you find compatible crew.
    Get the boat, keep it in the cheapest all tide marina you can find in UK while you practise and get your ICC and DSC radio certificate---- then head for somewhere warm.
    Initially I'd advise the Algarve, year round good climate and plenty free anchoring and cheap marina rates in winter.
    If you think it's tough at the top---try being at the bottom!

A great idea. Buy a good anchor and learn how to use it. It will save you a fortune in marina fees.
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Tops! Our Moody 33 that we have lived on for nearly 19 years fits (just) on a 10m berth in the Canaries. Berth, water and electric thrown in costs about 50 quid a week if you front up 6 months.

Its sunny.

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Sounds good to me, and with a similar background and financial arrangement.
    I'll be doing the same in a couple years probably - and I'll be nicely in my eighth decade by then.
    I don't want to live forever, but I do want to live until I die
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    5751.42' N 529.44' W

Quote Originally Posted by Richard10002 View Post
    A great idea. Buy a good anchor and learn how to use it. It will save you a fortune in marina fees.
    I'd go the other way round after decades with a cqr then a delta and perfect holding with both so far, but great advice

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Not stupid at all so my score will be zero. If you really want to do then just get on with it. You may not get another chance as old age and health issues approach. I don't know anything about your fallback arrangements in the UK after you've finished cruising but I assume you have thought this through already.
    Do it now before it's too late.
    +1

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast