Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Basic Epoxy/Polyester questions

Quote Originally Posted by cmedsailor View Post
    Why is that? Despite been thick and the need to work fast because it will get dry very fast what else you don't like?
    The stuff I used looked OK for about half a season then progressively changed colour. It was also not as tough as actual gel coat.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    The brush is good for getting into pits and corners. Abrasive paper of any sort will do where you can wield it.
    I was replying to #3, using wet and dry to key the new epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    The stuff I used looked OK for about half a season then progressively changed colour. It was also not as tough as actual gel coat.
    If you are repairing gelcoat, what could possibly be better than... erm..... gelcoat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    I thought it would, be but as always belt and braces... I thought the exhaust would be ok to lay gradually up the hull from the waterlock to the gooseneck as any water before the gooseneck will run back regardless. However it comes out the waterlock it is raised and runs parallel (fastened to via the gas pipe) to the cockpit floor (it's a bit hard to describe), I assume so there's not a low point after the waterlock for water to sit. I was just going to replicate this but in the center of the cockpit floor for a better run for the exhaust and away from the gas pipe.

As long as the exhaust pipe after the waterlock is above it with no low bends it it shouldn't matter how it lays? I'm just worried it's been held up for a reason and I don't want to risk hydrolocking the engine for the sake of keeping it how it is but it would suit me better if it lay up the hull in the center vee.
    The exhaust should run along the line of the hull, not be raised, until you come to the loop at the transom before the exit. It should not need any support until you get to the loop where it is quite common to have a pad bonded on to attach it. This stops it flexing around as is common with the pulse of water coming through.

There are good schematics of what wet exhaust pipe runs should look like in the Vetus catalogue or on their website.

Thanks again, I had a look at the Vetus site earlier and the Beta manual and they show as you describe. It looks like the length and drop after the exhaust elbow to the waterlock is the important thing rather then after the waterlock to the gooseneck. I think I might just snip the ties from the underneath of the cockpit floor and lay the exhaust along the hull making sure there's not low spots.

It'll also mean it's well out of the way of the gas pipe!
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12