Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    The North West, either England, Wales or France

Default Re: 42DS reversing performance

Quote Originally Posted by fearmhuir View Post
    +1

A bow thruster is a get out of jail free card!

But not free, and begs the question whether you should be out of jail if you need one but can't be bothered
    to skill up 😉
    As to the OP, I've had a similar experience with an Oceanis 40. Inexplicable as I've sailed dozens of AWBs with similar hull/prop/keel configurations which handle well astern, my own, bland SO36i is entirely predictable. Maybe some boats sacrifice astern handling completely by moving the rudder post to improve the G&T space?

Not unlike the OP, we went from 35ft fin keel Jeanneau with a Kiwiprop to a 42i Performance, with a Flexofold prop on a shaft. On the old boat we had quite strong but predictable prop walk. The 42i has the same hull as the 42DS (but a deeper keel in the P version) We have found minimal prop walk . There is more lag than with the Kiwi prop, but the boat reverses OK. We have found the biggest change in windage and low speed steering. The bow thruster does help when you are turning in confined spaces. Not the whole solution but often helps. It takes a while to get the feel of a new boat under you

I have a Brunton on my boat and get next to no prop walk in astern. However, its fitted on a Saildrive so may be giving different characteristics than if it were fitted to a shaft drive.

Is it true that Jeanneau currently fit Flexofold 3B props to all their new boats?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_Webb View Post
    Is it true that Jeanneau currently fit Flexofold 3B props to all their new boats?
    No. They are a factory fit option, although as they sell through dealers it is quite possible that buyers might choose a different prop. However the FlexoFold is highly regarded.

Back in Scotland, boat in Greece (Ionian)

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    But not free, and begs the question whether you should be out of jail if you need one but can't be bothered
    to skill up ��
    As to the OP, I've had a similar experience with an Oceanis 40. Inexplicable as I've sailed dozens of AWBs with similar hull/prop/keel configurations which handle well astern, my own, bland SO36i is entirely predictable. Maybe some boats sacrifice astern handling completely by moving the rudder post to improve the G&T space?
    I don't think that 42DS sacrifices astern handling in favour of increased volume. There will have been compromises but astern handling doesn't jump out. As I said previously, the OPs reversing problem isn't something you'd expect with a 42DS. The 42DS doesn't have a big problem with prop. walk under normal circumstances. It must be something specific about the particular boat he tested. It should be correctable.
    Last edited by Mistroma; 29-11-17 at 18:34.

>What help is that to the OP who is buying a fin keel Jeanneau?

I don't think keel type makes any difference blipping makes the boat go straight, prop walk is a prop problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    >What help is that to the OP who is buying a fin keel Jeanneau?

I don't think keel type makes any difference blipping makes the boat go straight, prop walk is a prop problem.
    That is not what you said. You were very specific about it being what you did on a completely different kind of boat. If you think prop walk and the resulting influence on astern handling is a universal problem and your method is also universally successful then say so, otherwise your comment is worthless. However, not sure that you will get much agreement to your proposition!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567