Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Where life is good
    Posts
    11,657

    Default Re: Trip to Amsterdam

    The easy way to Amstedam is Squeezyjet from Southend.

    Actually quite a good idea if you leave the tub over there.,
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,344

    Default Re: Trip to Amsterdam

    Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    I visited Delft on business a few years ago, and rather liked that town - the water front and rivers looked very attractive, and there's a lot of interesting history - Vermeer and Delft Pottery are the big things. The town is also pleasant. What I don't know is whether it can be reached reasonably easily by sea from the East coast - I'd be interested in heading that way if it is.
    The rivier that runs through Delft is the Schie, and runs to Schiedam, which is really a part of Rotterdam. So you can certainly get to Delft from the Nieuwe Waterweg, as the river Maas/Rhine is called at that point. Serious barges travel that stretch every day. I haven't checked in detail, but I would not be surprised if all the bridges between Schiedam and Delft were lifting ones. I am certain the last bridge just before Delft Technical University is lifting bridge, it would be a nonsense if the ones before that were not.
    I will check with my daughter who rows on the Schie.
    And I do agree that Delft is a most pleasant town. It has a very lively and young atmosphere, thanks to its university.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    5,190

    Default Re: Trip to Amsterdam

    Quote Originally Posted by westhinder View Post
    The rivier that runs through Delft is the Schie, and runs to Schiedam, which is really a part of Rotterdam. So you can certainly get to Delft from the Nieuwe Waterweg, as the river Maas/Rhine is called at that point. Serious barges travel that stretch every day. I haven't checked in detail, but I would not be surprised if all the bridges between Schiedam and Delft were lifting ones. I am certain the last bridge just before Delft Technical University is lifting bridge, it would be a nonsense if the ones before that were not.
    I will check with my daughter who rows on the Schie.
    And I do agree that Delft is a most pleasant town. It has a very lively and young atmosphere, thanks to its university.
    Yes, my meeting was hosted at the University, and I agree that it makes the town youthful feeling, despite it's history!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    16,866

    Default Re: Trip to Amsterdam

    When we first went to the IJsselmeer in the early '80s we used a Michelin guide which told us that in Makkum there was a pottery that made stuff a bit like Delft. "Oh goody" we thought, "we can get some souvenirs cheaper than Delftware". How wrong we were. Makkum ware costs two or three times as much as Delft. It is lovely though, and has richer colours and a different and finer glaze. Unfortunately, the factory over-extended itself and no longer has facilities for visitors, but I believe is still in production in a small way under their old name of Tichelaar. We have some tiles mounted, which cost about 15 each at the time, but a medium sized plate would cost about 150. Ouch.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    9,288

    Default Re: Trip to Amsterdam

    Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    When we first went to the IJsselmeer in the early '80s we used a Michelin guide which told us that in Makkum there was a pottery that made stuff a bit like Delft. "Oh goody" we thought, "we can get some souvenirs cheaper than Delftware". How wrong we were. Makkum ware costs two or three times as much as Delft. It is lovely though, and has richer colours and a different and finer glaze. Unfortunately, the factory over-extended itself and no longer has facilities for visitors, but I believe is still in production in a small way under their old name of Tichelaar. We have some tiles mounted, which cost about 15 each at the time, but a medium sized plate would cost about 150. Ouch.
    Seem to have gone up in price. 510 euros for a 23cm plate. https://www.tichelaar.com/webshop/bo...plate-bo-23-04

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    5,190

    Default Re: Trip to Amsterdam

    Quote Originally Posted by Stork_III View Post
    Seem to have gone up in price. 510 euros for a 23cm plate. https://www.tichelaar.com/webshop/bo...plate-bo-23-04
    Uses a wider palette than Delft, but not such a vivid blue. I think Delft shows the Chinese influence more than this.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Fambridge
    Posts
    10,366

    Default Re: Trip to Amsterdam

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    Sorry to have hijacked the thread but very useful comments, we have AIS transponder so ticked that box, ATIS sorted ia Ofcom last night. Just now need to book weather and time off work, probably end May so far
    Eer, you may already know this but Ofcom can't sort ATIS on your VHF, they just issue the licence variation to allow you to use it legally

    If it hasn't already been done, your set well need to be programmed for ATIS by a main dealer

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    303

    Default Re: Trip to Amsterdam

    Yes understand this, Radio is programmable in its ATIS menu also enabled and disable there when needed.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Fambridge
    Posts
    10,366

    Default Re: Trip to Amsterdam

    Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    Yes understand this, Radio is programmable in its ATIS menu also enabled and disable there when needed.
    Ah good, ATIS is already unlocked then

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    16,866

    Default Re: Trip to Amsterdam

    Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    Uses a wider palette than Delft, but not such a vivid blue. I think Delft shows the Chinese influence more than this.
    I haven't compared the blues but I like the wider palette. In particular, I like the way that some colours bleed slightly, giving a three-dimensional look, similar to the superb old Iznik ware. The ornate look reminds me a little of the painted wooden stuff at nearby Hindeloopen, which is said to have derived from earlier trade with Indonesia and the Far East.

    Here is one of our tiles and a small antique dish, which we have acquired over the years. Harlingen still has a small workshop and shop in the town, which has restored an old tradition. Their ware is attractive, but a little softer in appearance.

    Last edited by johnalison; 01-12-17 at 15:04.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Find Boats For Sale

to
to