Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: trailer sailer and a camper

Aren't you making life very complicated? Why not do a campervan tour and then sell it and get a cruising yacht (or vice versa)?
    If I were going to have a boat and van at the same time I'd want the boat to be easy to deal with. I'd sacrifice the cabin and go for something along the lines of a Wayfarer.

I have had campers in the past and toured europe several times in them, great for bringing along the dog kids etc and beach gear etc.

now kids grown and wiffe and I are looking to the future, I want a boat in the Med but marina costs are prohibitive, especially is you only get a few weeks use and also you are stuck to one place/ destination unless you are very organised.

We also enjoy mooching along the coast and stopping off in smaller out of the way places, and having the freedom to up sticks and move along when we please. But we want to do it in the type comfort of a Motor home that we could not afford in the past. we will eventually buy a place there and hopefully bring our boat down there and cruise the med from there but until then we want to tour and experience places so we can make informed choices on our eventual purchase of bricks and mortar.

There are many places to leave a boat on a trailer in storage which are cheaper than marinas/boat yards. I would leave the boat there for the remainder of the year and fly down for a few weekends to make use of it, and then move to a new area the following year..

towing and travelling is not really a problem, I am well used to towing diggers and trailers including long distance on the continent.

My real concern is practical in terms of finding an A class that will take a 2.5 to 3 ton towing capacity probably with a 250kg nose weight,, If this is not possible then I may go for an iveco van and convert that but the space in a converted van is just not very nice.

Is there a reason some trailers are twin axle and others are not, even under biggish boats??

I really would not like a single axle trailer on a motorway...

A hunter 260...https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=546874 looks nice or a mcgregor 26 http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1994...m#.Whn9Kkpl_IU

There must be others that might suit... require a proper heads and some bit of headroom if possible....

Sail on the Medway, Kent from Chatham Maritime Marina

Neither of these boats has standing headroom below, that is why I earlier suggested the MacGregor 26M (newest model, now called the Tartan 26) and the BayCruiser 26.

The MacGregor you linked to is a MacGregor 26C, which only has standing headroom under the pop up top. They also made, slightly later, the MacGregor 26X which IIRC has standing headroom. The C version has a swing center plate, but the X and M have lifting center plate.

Sorry I cannot comment about the Hunter.
    If my foresight was as good as my hindsight, I would be a multi-millionaire.

Thanks for that, Good suggestions..

there are many unknowns in this situation but two knowns are:,,, it will not be new... or even a nearly new boat.. it will not have a 50hp engine on the back..

The Hunter 26 would be my favourite at the mo but time will tell, suspect there must be several French models that would be more easily found actually touring along the coast... or on http://www.annoncesbateau.com/ or the Spainish equivalent

5k to 7k is the starting point (it will go upwards I know)
    HR352 for sale, see YBW Boats for Sale.

might it not be easier to buy a camper, then rent boats at locations as you go? You could try before you buy then with various sizes and designs

Many motorhomes are front wheel drive and have trouble on flat wet grass, especially with a fairly lightweight racing car trailer behind - ask me how I know! I shudder to think how they'd cope on a wet slipway with a boat and trailer in tow!

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher 3 View Post
    Many motorhomes are front wheel drive and have trouble on flat wet grass, especially with a fairly lightweight racing car trailer behind - ask me how I know! I shudder to think how they'd cope on a wet slipway with a boat and trailer in tow!
    That's a good point. Mine, Ducato based, is dreadful on even the slightest slope on wet grass. Tow hitch on the front for launching?
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

from research I think to get a good towing capacity you need a twin wheel Iveco rear wheel drive base vehicle,

renting boats on the fly is too expensive time consuming and messy....unless organised in advance and that takes away the freedom to come and go or not as one pleases.

I have a part complete camper which was originally laid out when kids were a consideration and which I was going to sell but I may just have a new look at it.... I had not realised its towing abilities, but a conversion never gets to the "Niceness" of a factory build and the iveco vans are really narrow.

launching on a slip is a matter of a long enough winch cable and good jockey wheel, besides slips in the med are not slippery as there is virtually no tide to speak of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12