A propos bobgarrett: bagpipes.

Default Re: Hobbies

Posting on yottie forums.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Posting on yottie forums.
    How true - hooked!

What you will find that everything except electronics will fail more than once because they are made for weekend and holiday sailors. So the best hobby is to learn how to fix thing. Long distance sailing I spent two days a weeks servicing or fixing something. We carried two spares for everything, appropriate tools, and exploded diagrams. When taking something apart lay the bits in a line so you know how to put the spares back. The best book for repairs is: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boatowners-...ctrical+manual

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    What you will find that everything except electronics will fail more than once because they are made for weekend and holiday sailors. So the best hobby is to learn how to fix thing. Long distance sailing I spent two days a weeks servicing or fixing something. We carried two spares for everything, appropriate tools, and exploded diagrams. When taking something apart lay the bits in a line so you know how to put the spares back. The best book for repairs is: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boatowners-...ctrical+manual
    Thank you KellysEye for your advice - as the female member of our boating partnership I am lucky to have a have a skipper who is very experienced in all aspects of boat maintenance and whilst these jobs are a necessary part of cruising life, it was the fun part I was more interested in with my post.

Where did you long distance cruise to and in what?

My hobby is making lists of jobs to be completed
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

We left bricks and mortar 18 mths ago, prior to that our hobby was getting the boat ready, i thought before we set sail that I would paint, take long walks do lots of sailing, well this is how it's really gone, sailed lot less than planned haven't taken out any paint brush but what I have found that I don't need a hobby (in the old way when I was working) to get away from the day to day stuff as the day to day stuff is what I want to do not necessarily to get away from things. The thing that I have really enjoyed is getting the free meal "foraging", when we walk one eye is on the free meal, when I get up in the morning whats in the lobster pot, then the challenge, what new for dinner tonight (due to such a good year I am looking to write a new cook book "100 different recipes for Lobster cooked on a boat". Righting a blog also helps especially when you read it back after a year, brings a smile to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    My hobby is making lists of jobs to be completed
    Mine just gone up by two more two jobs to day.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shearmyste View Post
    We left bricks and mortar 18 mths ago, prior to that our hobby was getting the boat ready, i thought before we set sail that I would paint, take long walks do lots of sailing, well this is how it's really gone, sailed lot less than planned haven't taken out any paint brush but what I have found that I don't need a hobby (in the old way when I was working) to get away from the day to day stuff as the day to day stuff is what I want to do not necessarily to get away from things. The thing that I have really enjoyed is getting the free meal "foraging", when we walk one eye is on the free meal, when I get up in the morning whats in the lobster pot, then the challenge, what new for dinner tonight (due to such a good year I am looking to write a new cook book "100 different recipes for Lobster cooked on a boat". Righting a blog also helps especially when you read it back after a year, brings a smile to my face.
    We are on the market for such a cook book. On terra firm lobster, or crayfish here, are extortionate and seldom hit our menu (I cannot recall the last one). When we sail south lobsters are the menu and become increasingly tedious!

Extend the hobby of become an accomplished knots smith and make soft shackles (and learn how to use them). They make excellent gifts when you are invited for dinner, even if its only lobster!

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Sail Away View Post
    Hello Liveaboards

We are some five months in to cruising full time aboard a Westerly Storm. The transition from working too many hours to none at all is going slowly (possibly not brilliantly). So I was wondering, what do folk do (in the way of hobbies) to keep the grey matter going once all the boat work has been completed?

Ideas/comments much appreciated

Mrs Sail Away
    I think you have identified a problem of retirement, not sailing. As others have pointed out, cruising - the getting places, maintaining your home/transport, and simply doing the daily chores, will occupy much more of your time than it would in many alternative lifestyles. And the sheer inherent interest in constantly changing locations, cultures, languages, types of beer will also do more to keep the brain cells ticking over. But none of this can answer the big ‘what’s the point’ question. Filling the time between now and dying with ‘hobbies’ doesn’t, it seems to me, make that time any more worthwhile, it just makes the time pass quicker (although not sure if that holds true for dungeons and dragons!). Pursuing passions is different - but I am referring to hobbies which are pursued primarily to waste time, like I-spy on a long car journey (in this regard, the traditional cruisers’ bored game of pickle the liver seems no better or worse than the others to me).

We each have to find our own answers. My wife and I haven’t completely yet. But I suspect that merely filling our time will be ultimately, well, unfulfilling.
    Fools know they are right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12