Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EA/TVM Mooring Signs

There appears to be some confusion regarding mooring signs on the river. The EA 24 Hour mooring sites are currently being managed by Thames Visitor Moorings (TVM - https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk) on behalf of the Environment Agency.
    Signage at these locations is similar to this one
    _0231833.jpg:

Note the lower panel which I have highlighted in red shows both EA and TVM Logos.

BE AWARE - there are other landowners and local authorities displaying signs similar in appearance but with different and varying charges and conditions.
    Last edited by boatone; 01-12-17 at 19:39.
    Thames Motor Boater? GET ON BOARD for £5 !- Support http://tmba.org.uk

Default Re: EA/TVM Mooring Signs

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    There appears to be some confusion regarding mooring signs on the river. The EA 24 Hour mooring sites are currently being managed by Thames Visitor Moorings (TVM - https://www.thamesvisitormoorings.co.uk) on behalf of the Environment Agency.
    Signage at these locations is similar to this one
    _0231833.jpg:

Note the lower panel which I have highlighted in red shows both EA and TVM Logos.

BE AWARE - there are other landowners and local authorities displaying signs similar in appearance but with different and varying charges and conditions.
    Wasn’t the TVM arrangement meant to be a limited duration ‘trial’?

Quote Originally Posted by thames cruiser View Post
    Wasn’t the TVM arrangement meant to be a limited duration ‘trial’?
    Yes, for 12 months and has just ended. They are now considering outcomes and will likely go out to tender for full implementation. I expect the current arrangements to continue pro tem.

Quote Originally Posted by boatone View Post
    Yes, for 12 months and has just ended. They are now considering outcomes and will likely go out to tender for full implementation. I expect the current arrangements to continue pro tem.
    Have you seen what it's costing the EA?

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    Have you seen what it's costing the EA?
    Do you know what it's costing the EA? Would be interesting to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jct1981 View Post
    Do you know what it's costing the EA? Would be interesting to know.
    As we have yet to receive any report of final outcomes I can only provide general information regarding costs etc.
    As I understand it, the agreement between the EA and TVM is largely revenue neutral with TVM receiving a share of the revenue collected. There is significant evidence that the TVM involvement has resulted in a major reduction in overstaying at EA 24 hour mooring sites. We understand that there has also been a considerable reduction in time consuming enquiries and complaints to the EA itself which has had a positive impact on staff being able to concentrate on other matters. TVM are also pursuing provision of services to other landowners and local authorities which will provide further income to bolster whatever is received via the EA moorings arrangements.
    As stated previously the trial was only being fully implemented between Teddington and Bell Weir although boaters can register for the EA 24 hour moorings river wide. During the trial period I understand that over 4,500 nights were registered - approx 50% in the trial area and the rest further up river. Interestingly, in the trial area about 50% of the registered nights were additional paid for (i.e. after the first 24 hours) whereas upriver this dropped to about 20%. TVM state that the level of compliance within the trial are was "very high". There is also evidence that many hire boats have registered and that both recreational and live aboard boats have been equally compliant.

Bear in mind that much of this revenue was previously being lost due to ineffective collection. Also, the primary motivation for the improved management was to ensure that 24 hour visitor moorings were available to all and not permanently occupied by overstayers.

I know what the contract says.

If you contact the EA you can get this information under the freedom of information act.

I doubt you'll be impressed however, because I doubt the EA got a penny out of this, and suspect they are considerably out of pocket.

Surprising nobody asked, given the amount of waffle posted over the last year...

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    I know what the contract says.

If you contact the EA you can get this information under the freedom of information act.

I doubt you'll be impressed however, because I doubt the EA got a penny out of this, and suspect they are considerably out of pocket.

Surprising nobody asked, given the amount of waffle posted over the last year...
    When this scheme was first muted I did ask the question how much would the EA actually get back. I was told the EA enforcement team were very happy with the deal.
    The Zen Master said "we'll see"

With the greatest respect to the enforcement team, I'll bet they are happy. A bloke in a Narrow Boat taking all the cash, dealing with the minor aggravation at least and taking a bit of work off their shoulders. their employers paying for it too...

However, there have still been un-named boats doubtless kicked out of the canals which have been overstaying EA moorings and TVM unable to do a thing about it as the boats literally have no identifying features.

Thanks for this boatone; I hadn't appreciated that the trial period was focussed mainly on the lower reaches (I'm based at T&K Marina in Caversham). Having registered when it launched, I've used the web system about half a dozen times; found it really simple & easy to use, plus I've always been able to find a space. Our usage is a split between overnights and lunch/afternoon moorings. Never stayed in a pay mooring (or longer than the 24 hour free period) but looks simple enough, especially with PayPal.

As I live nearby, I'll try to get some pictures of the non-TVM boards (also relating to the Tesco mooring thread). From memory (which could well be wrong!), they are almost identical to the ones you have posted above, just without the TVM detail along the bottom and with different contact details, which I would imagine could cause some confusion if not paying attention.

No Regrets, again, do you mind sharing what the contract says? Curious to know what's in place. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast