Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Haslar Marina - Your Thoughts Please

We are currently berthed at Mercury on the Hamble. We've been there 7 years now and have really enjoyed it, but as the boys grow older, we're wondering if somewhere new to berth might be worth a try for a year or two.

As luck would have it, our berthing renewal invite has just arrived and our fee has increased by 25%! I've called the office to check this isn't a mistake, they think it may be and said they would get back to me... Several days have passed with no reply, so we're beginning to think that a change might be the right move anyway.

We've always enjoyed our visits to Portsmouth and Haslar, hence this is now becoming a serious consideration. The fact that the shops and rides are only a ferry trip away for the boys is a bonus, for me and my good lady, being nearer to our favourite spot of Bembridge is also appealing.

I know the drive to Gosport is a PITA, but other than that, what do people find as the positives and negatives of the Marina?

Your wisdom is muchly appreciated.

Paul

Default Re: Haslar Marina - Your Thoughts Please

I was moored there a while back for a season and I found it quite lumpy with the wash from ferries. Especially noticeable at night when in bed. We were close to the hammerhead of H pontoon IIRC. Moorings closer to the shore would be far less affected I think. Lots to do roundabouts

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

We have been berthed there for three seasons now.

You have identified the drive through Fareham and Gosport as the main snag, the other is there is no hardstanding on site.

The further up the creek the better the shelter and you are nearer the car park for loading and unloading.
    Last edited by Little Grebe; 01-12-17 at 15:51.

Thanks both.

I had assumed to be looking for a berth further in. When we have stayed there in the past, we've been lucky enough to be allocated a berth near to the office, and found the marina much less 'rolly' than Gosport Marina.

How bad is the drive from the motorway to Gosport? Assuming we don't hit it at rush hour, how long does it take?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by paultallett; 01-12-17 at 16:27. Reason: I'm a Muppet

From the Needles to the Nab, from Cowes to St Catherine's

Around 15-20 mins depending on the time of day.

IIRC - There are incentives to if your are 'introduced' by somebody, happy to do so if you do decide to take up a berth there.

Quote Originally Posted by paultallett View Post
    Thanks both.

I had assumed to be looking for a berth further in. When we have stayed there in the passed, we've been lucky enough to be allocated a berth near to the office, and found the marina much less 'rolly' than Gosport Marina.

How bad is the drive from the motorway to Gosport? Assuming we don't hit it at rush hour, how long does it take?

Thanks again.
    I work a lot in that area , it’s a pain any Time of day Paul average is 30 mins from M27 to Haslar , you can get off at Junction 9 and take the scenic route via Fareham through the lanes along the coast road , brings you to Marina without going through Gosport town centre . Looking at all the house building going off in Bursledon that road will only get worse getting to Mercury and Hamble.

When Play d'eau was there for two or more years, it was excellent. From memory we were berthed on D pontoon, sheltered by the HH of B and a few boats to the east of us. Lovely staff, helpful management, deals available. No complaints.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

Quote Originally Posted by Little Grebe View Post
    Around 15-20 mins depending on the time of day.

IIRC - There are incentives to if your are 'introduced' by somebody, happy to do so if you do decide to take up a berth there.
    Thanks Little Grebe, I'm sure you'd be very useful in introducing me to the marina should we decide to take a berth there. I'll be in touch

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    I work a lot in that area , it’s a pain any Time of day Paul average is 30 mins from M27 to Haslar , you can get off at Junction 9 and take the scenic route via Fareham through the lanes along the coast road , brings you to Marina without going through Gosport town centre . Looking at all the house building going off in Bursledon that road will only get worse getting to Mercury and Hamble.
    Thanks VP, I'd assumed to allow 20-30 minutes so your figures back that up. I think you're very right, the road from Hamble to the M27 is a nightmare at times, it'll only get worse! We love Hamble and may well return (assuming we leave).

Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    When Play d'eau was there for two or more years, it was excellent. From memory we were berthed on D pontoon, sheltered by the HH of B and a few boats to the east of us. Lovely staff, helpful management, deals available. No complaints.
    Thanks Piers, that's very much appreciated. Reinforces what we'd found when we've visited in the past. They are offering a fair package with quite a few benefits, hence our serious consideration.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast