Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default True cost of boating story for MBY

Anyone out there happy to share the annual cost of running their boat for a story in MBY magazine?

Partly inspired by a previous thread on this forum, I thought it would be interesting for readers to see how some people do manage to run their boats on a relatively tight budget.

A couple of brave forumites have already agreed to bare their souls, as have I, but we could do with at least one more UK based cruising boat, preferably in the 30-40ft size range.

Here's a brief of what we need. If you are interested send me a quick PM as I will need your words and pics by Monday.

Thanks

Hugo

Words
    500 words of running copy describing you, your boat, how you use and run it. This will need to cover the story of buying it (why, where, when and how much you paid for it). Where you keep it and why (marina or swing mooring as well as location )? How often you use it (estimated annual engine hours would be helpful) and what for? What you chose to do yourself and what you chose to pay other people to do for you (eg antifouling, polishing, servicing etc)? Any means you have for offsetting those costs (boat sharing, chartering, tax deductions etc). What you get out of owning a boat and why you think it’s worth the cost of owning and running it.

List of costs
    • Make and model of boat
    • Approx value
    • Where you keep it (eg Cobbs Quay Marina, Poole, UK)
    • Approx no of days use p/a
    • Estimated depreciation p/a
    • Berthing p/a
    • Fuel p/a
    • Insurance p/a
    • Regular engine/drive servicing p/a
    • Regular maintenance costs p/a (antifouling, lifts, cleaning, winterising etc)
    • Unscheduled repairs p/a (averaged out over several years)
    • Any other costs (please state what)
    • Any offsets such as boat sharing or charter income (eg boat shared so all costs divided by two)
    • Total cost to you p/a (ie sum of all costs minus income or shared costs)

Photos
    A small selection of good quality high resolution photos of your boat and at least one nicely lit head shot of yourself.

Default Re: True cost of boating story for MBY

Would be happy to help, but no chance by Monday morning. If later is OK, feel free to PM me.

and let the wife find out how much is really spent on the boat....

I'm happy to contribute for a Fairline motorboat in the 40-50ft range. Twin screw diesel undergoing full refit and exterior works.
    Electrics & electronics in Suffolk and at Southwold Boatyard
    + Eberspacher & Webasto

Quote Originally Posted by matthewriches View Post
    I'm happy to contribute for a Fairline motorboat in the 40-50ft range. Twin screw diesel undergoing full refit and exterior works.
    Sounds promising. It's the normal annual running costs we're interested in at the moment (although the refit might make an interesting story at a later date). Have you had it long enough to know what the annual running costs are?

Hi
    I own a sc29 in Sweden. Could be intersting for the forum to compare costs. UK v Sweden.
    Kind regards Terence

Are you trying to kill off future readership ?

Could do and I published most of my costs in a forum post a while ago but I am on the boat until the 7 Dec and Monday is unfortunately not particularly very realistic !

In my 3rd year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Andreae View Post
    Sounds promising. It's the normal annual running costs we're interested in at the moment (although the refit might make an interesting story at a later date). Have you had it long enough to know what the annual running costs are?
    Electrics & electronics in Suffolk and at Southwold Boatyard
    + Eberspacher & Webasto

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    Could do and I published most of my costs in a forum post a while ago but I am on the boat until the 7 Dec and Monday is unfortunately not particularly very realistic !
    It was your original post that prompted the idea so I already owe you a drink! Apologies for the tight deadline. Christmas printing schedules always play havoc with our production cycle.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast