Default French Law and chartering

We are thinking about coding our boat for day skippered charter use. The company who looks after her have asked us if we are interested. Our surveyor has asked us to check if the French Authorities would have a problem with us using the boat privately and me only having a day skipper endorsement. The boat is registered in Guernsey to us and not a company.

Whilst I canít see this being a problem anyone got a differing opinion?

Default Re: French Law and chartering

Quote Originally Posted by mcanderson View Post
    We are thinking about coding our boat for day skippered charter use. The company who looks after her have asked us if we are interested. Our surveyor has asked us to check if the French Authorities would have a problem with us using the boat privately and me only having a day skipper endorsement. The boat is registered in Guernsey to us and not a company.

Whilst I canít see this being a problem anyone got a differing opinion?
    Not sure what your question is. If boat is coded and sometimes used for charter with a commercially qualified skipper on board, then it is perfectly ok for you also to use it privately on a day Skipper/ICC ticket.

However, if you part 1 register as "commercial vessel" you will encounter problems during personal/private use (that I can explain if necessary, but I doubt relevant to you). There are also vat complexities these days but that's drifting from the Q you asked.

Who is your surveyor?

John,

So we are VAT paid and Keith Willis is the surveyor.

I think your first paragraph matches my thoughts.

Sorry for the abrupt reply. Standing on a v wet Nice St Aug platform heading to BSM.

John,

Our boat at is Part 1 registered in Guernsey for recreational use. I will check with the registry office on the impact
    charter and if this will change us to a commercial vessel. If this is the case then the next step will be the licence implications when we are using her and what the French might think.

Anyone else done something similar?

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Hello,
    are you a French resident ?
    If so, bear in mind a very recent change in regulations obliges all French residents to conform to French maritime law *whatever the flag of their vessels", both in terms of mandatory safety equipment, pleasure licences, and also commercial activities.
    Example, a French resident cannot (any more) use its commercially endorsed YM to commercially skipper a UK flagged, UK coded boat in french waters.
    If you are not resident then the above does not apply.
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Thanks, but I live in the U.K.