Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mast steps

Default Re: Mast steps

Definitely enclosed steps. A mast on the water is nothing like a telegraph pole - and eliminating the chance of your foot slipping off sideways is one less thing to worry about when it's moving about even a little bit. Another ex-climber with a dodgy shoulder...
    ' The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted life span, his days spent sailing '

more good advice there chaps. My climbing days were in the military many moons ago, great fun, and I still have some of my gear - probably should all be thrown away but my harness is still good. I am pretty risk averse these days compared to back then, so I will not be relying on luck, Safety first.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    more good advice there chaps. My climbing days were in the military many moons ago, great fun, and I still have some of my gear - probably should all be thrown away but my harness is still good. I am pretty risk averse these days compared to back then, so I will not be relying on luck, Safety first.
    When I fitted steps to my mast I looked at the type you are thinking of as I could also make those type but I decided to go for plastic folding steps fixed with stainless cap head machine screws tapped into the mast. One of the issues with fixed steps is the halyards getting wrapped around the steps I do find this if I leave one of my steps open.

I also have two steps at the top such that the top of the mast is at chest height and I also have a strap that goes around the mast when working.

I also use a boatswain's chair tailed by wife as I climb.

BTW I'm way past middle age and my mast is 15 metres above deck.

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=pl...EIKjAA#imgrc=_

This is an interesting design that may prevent the halyards catching on the steps that could be easily fabricated from stainless rod adding a foot slip guard.

Last edited by Rogershaw; 05-12-17 at 09:22.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

I'm fascinated by the idea of climbing the mainsheet!

A word of warning about enclosed steps. We hear nice stories and bad stories at SBS. The worst bad one relates to the gentleman who had enclosed steps and fell ending up hanging by his feet until his ankles failed and he died after hitting the deck. The steps need support but underneath is safer. The fold up ones are best.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use an electric winch for mast climbing. The stories are many.
    Last edited by Graham_Wright; 05-12-17 at 10:00.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use an electric winch for mast climbing. The stories are many.
    Why not?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Why not?
    Many accidents have occurred due to lack of care. Looking at the masthead when pushing the button generally. Lost fingers can result.
    Solenoid contact weld-ups have been reported. The winch doesn't stop. The breaker should trip but has been known not to. Something has to break.

But more generally, lack of fine control.

None of these are from my experience - all reported at the show.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    I'm fascinated by the idea of climbing the mainsheet!
    Going up is very easy and feels safe as you are not relying on anyone else. You need a good system that is energy-efficient which in practice means it is based on a chest jammer close to the chest so that you can keep most of your weight on the legs. Going down is harder and is best done in small steps. As previously mentioned some thick shock cord holding the rope at deck level keeps the slack out of the lazy part of the rope and makes it easier. I wouldn't do it on less than 10mm halyard (in good condition!).

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    This is an interesting design that may prevent the halyards catching on the steps that could be easily fabricated from stainless rod adding a foot slip guard.

Those answer the issues of 3 point fixing to prevent loosening over time, as well as being a "non-catchy" shape, and also supports my view that it is important to be able to put a foot down firmly on to a known position, rather than fiddle around for seconds trying to locate a gap.

I like them. Nice one Roger.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    When I fitted steps to my mast I looked at the type you are thinking of as I could also make those type but I decided to go for plastic folding steps fixed with stainless cap head machine screws tapped into the mast. One of the issues with fixed steps is the halyards getting wrapped around the steps I do find this if I leave one of my steps open.

I also have two steps at the top such that the top of the mast is at chest height and I also have a strap that goes around the mast when working.

I also use a boatswain's chair tailed by wife as I climb.

BTW I'm way past middle age and my mast is 15 metres above deck.

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=pl...EIKjAA#imgrc=_

Better to rivet - M6 would only engage on a couple or so threads.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

If your wife is shorter than you space them out so she can use them. What rivet gun are you going to use?
    Hide a collection of bones in your snowman as a surprise for the children when it melts.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast