Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mast steps

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

Default Re: Mast steps

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    I agree they are in shear but, bearing in mind the vibrations in a mast, I would be concerned about them loosening.
    What I have done is not to use duralac so the stainless screws will cause the aluminium to corrode and lock the screws in place. W know it is impossible to remove stainless steel screws in aluminium. I have sheared many stainless steel screws in aluminium masts and fittings.

You could also use loctite if you wish.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/ybrn7prn

These are what I made for the Centaur that I had at the time.

Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    because I have a knackered back, shoulder and one lung left, and middle age has left me boring and weak. The tyranny of age, and old injuries conspire.
    Forget the steps, fit a toothed rail up the leading edge of the mast with a Stannah / Acorn Stairlift; just make sure you take the Plan B manual winding handle for when you're at the top in case wifey finds the main battery switch.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please PM me here - www.anderson22class.co.uk

You can get a rivet gun head adapter to use with a normal battery drill, they work very well and have no kick when the pin snaps. Get them on eBay for abut £15

Quote Originally Posted by Carmel2 View Post
    If your wife is shorter than you space them out so she can use them. What rivet gun are you going to use?
    Air riveter, I have a well equipped engineering shop so I am not going to mess about with a hand riveter.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    You can get a rivet gun head adapter to use with a normal battery drill, they work very well and have no kick when the pin snaps. Get them on eBay for abut £15
    never seen them before!

My Colvic Countess came with a lovely set of stainless folding mast steps like these...one of her selling points actually

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-set...E#.Wicm_FVl_IU

I went up for the first time the other day just for fun to check things out. As a climber I used my sit harness with a mini-jammer (Wild Country Ropeman http://www.wildcountry.com/en/ropeman-1/ ) at chest height on a tensioned halyard so that if i were to slip and fall that would hold me. When i stopped I wrapped a long climbing sling doubled round the mast and clipped in to harness via a locking carabiner....as back up...im a cautious climber. Only pain is that the Ropeman has to be unweighted to de-tension it to slide it down the halyard for coming back down, but thats not a real problem with mast steps -some of the more sophistacted jammers have variable friction i believe and can be slid down more easily.

The folding steps do have the advantage of less windage or risk of catching halyards. That said, ive not tried going up when moving or with the mast rocking about madly but they seemed to offer excellent secure footing.

I welded up the kind Bernard Moitessier shows in his book "The Long Way".
    They don't foul halyards. Love em.
    Almost invisible from deck, and almost zero windage or weight.
    Last edited by Brent Swain; 06-12-17 at 00:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    Like this;-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-...EAAOSw7bpZjCpC

I like it.
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    Would that gadget handle 5mm stainless pop-rivets please?
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast