Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mast steps

Default Re: Mast steps

You will go up the mast three times a year at the most. You will be on a mooring or on a pontoon & in calm weather. You will be able to get a fit male friend to help. Just buy a bosuns chair & use that & forget all the steps & systems. Not worth it. You will not go up it at sea.
    Actually I used a plank of wood for a bosuns chair for years & to be honest , looking at the stitching on a cloth one I tend to feel safer with the plank of wood than I do the bespoke seat. It is certainly every bit as comfortable. I still go up the mast Ok & I am 70 & get my son to wind me up. Steps are npt a lot of good when swinging out to the end of the spreaders they are only any good for the actual climbing. A good man on the winch sorts that.. You do not need steps at the top. a bosuns chair will get you high enough to work on the top regardless of what others say.

masthead.jpg
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 06-12-17 at 20:13.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    You will go up the mast three times a year at the most. You will be on a mooring or on a pontoon & in calm weather. You will be able to get a fit male friend to help. Just buy a bosuns chair & use that & forget all the steps & systems. Not worth it. You will not go up it at sea.
    Actually I used a plank of wood for a bosuns chair for years & to be honest , looking at the stitching on a cloth one I tend to feel safer with the plank of wood than I do the bespoke seat. It is certainly every bit as comfortable. I still go up the mast Ok & I am 70 & get my son to wind me up. Steps are npt a lot of good when swinging out to the end of the spreaders they are only any good for the actual climbing. A good man on the winch sorts that.. You do not need steps at the top. a bosuns chair will get you high enough to work on the top regardless of what others say.
    Only thing I would differ with, is I wouldn't be up it 3 times a year if it had steps. I would be up it often, just to have a look round, take in the view, as would the wife with her camera. Not talking about while sailing either, there is much to be had from an enhanced perspective wherever you may be.

I’ve used with all sizes, it works by pulling between rotary mandrills so loads of power and grip and does not bend the pin. A lot easier than large pump rivet guns that need you push from a long way out, not easy high up

Climbing harness lot easier than bosun chair and more comfortable, also half the cost

Not sure why you would like to climb up for no other reason other than to look around, climbing at height always potential risk to injury and as such should be minimised, it’s not like just walking up stairs

Quote Originally Posted by Daverw View Post
    Climbing harness lot easier than bosun chair and more comfortable, also half the cost
    as a relapsed climber, bosuns chairs look like hard work, but having only used a harness and not a chair I cant really say. I know I wouldnt fancy abseiling in a bosuns chair though Though I am not the man I used to be....

Not sure why you would like to climb up for no other reason other than to look around, climbing at height always potential risk to injury and as such should be minimised, it’s not like just walking up stairs
    yes you could say that about sailing, climbing, motorsport, diving, parachuting, etc etc. Managing risk, and having fun are very closely related for some people. And climbing a few steps with a line is no risk at all apart from maybe a scraped shin if a foot slips. Or the bloody woman dropping her camera on me. I would be much happier watching her climb a mast than a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    Only thing I would differ with, is I wouldn't be up it 3 times a year if it had steps. I would be up it often, just to have a look round, take in the view, as would the wife with her camera. Not talking about while sailing either, there is much to be had from an enhanced perspective wherever you may be.
    With all due respect-I am not sure what you expect to see & once you have photographed the deck & each other lounging on it etc i suspect the novelty will soon wear off. It did for me & i tried it in my 20's. There is not really a lot to see. If you look over one muddy sea wall you have looked over them all. You often do better to row ashore & walk up the hill & look back.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Take your point, suspect that after climbing a few times the novelty will wear off and the fitting of steps be expensive project when money can be used for more toys elsewhere on the boat.

Take your point, suspect that after climbing a few times the novelty will wear off and the fitting of steps be expensive project when money can be used for more toys elsewhere on the boat.
    yep, take your point entirely, that sounds like us. Have we met?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast