Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SORRY, another dumb question. Toilet

Just about the only thing not fitted or provided with this Trident, was the toilet. The seacocks are there, so it should be fairly routine to fit. We will be "weekending" a fair bit, and away for as much as two weeks very occasionally, with most of our sailing being daysailing. So with that in mind I was thinking just the basic manual toilet, and maybe a portaloo tucked away forward under the main berth for times we may be at a marina for a few days, and have need onboard. I dont want to fit a holding tank.
    I am sorry for the barrage of questions, please bear with me or ignore me - but I am trying to get a lot done in a very short timeframe, so any input that will save time and money is gratefully received.
    Any massive pitfalls with the basic manual toilet that would be a pain in the arse? (Pun intended)
    Also the idea of a bog, and those seacocks gives me the collywobbles slightly. I am sure they are safe enough. but some DONT'S would be as good to hear as the DO'S ;-)
    Last edited by solent clown; 04-12-17 at 19:36.

Default Re: SORRY, another dumb question. Toilet

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    Any massive pitfalls with the basic manual toilet that would be a pain in the arse? (Pun intended)
    Leaving the handle up and sitting down could be a pain

Also the idea of a bog, and those seacocks gives me the collywobbles slightly. I am sure they are safe enough. but some DONT'S would be as good to hear as the DO'S ;-)
    Make sure the seacocks work, non functioning cocks are no good to man nor beast

Double clip the hoses, use proper stainless clips, not cheap crap with mild steel screws.

Use quality hose.

Read up on the installation instructions regarding vented loops, for instance : https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t.do?docId=768

One doesn't want another salvage operation

"One doesn't want another salvage operation"
    Amen to that Paul. Once was enough.

And I wouldn't have a chemical loo as well because if in a marina they will have loos and the odd late night pee won't matter provided you don't send paper down the loo.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    And I wouldn't have a chemical loo as well because if in a marina they will have loos and the odd late night pee won't matter provided you don't send paper down the loo.
    cool, sounds reasonable. And worst case scenario, truckers method of carrier bag eh? Nasty to see those heavy bags of filth hanging in bushes at laybys on A roads.

Just about the only thing not fitted or provided with this Trident, was the toilet. The seacocks are there, so it should be fairly routine to fit. We will be "weekending" a fair bit, and away for as much as two weeks very occasionally, with most of our sailing being daysailing. So with that in mind I was thinking just the basic manual toilet, and maybe a portaloo tucked away forward under the main berth for times we may be at a marina for a few days, and have need onboard. I dont want to fit a holding tank.
    I am sorry for the barrage of questions, please bear with me or ignore me - but I am trying to get a lot done in a very short timeframe, so any input that will save time and money is gratefully received.

If the sea cocks are there I would definitely fit a flushing toilet. It looks as though the relatively inexpensive and well tried and tested Jabsco "twist and lock" will fit but heed the warnings to fit vented loops....

PITA emptying chemical toilets esp if you have to carry them any distance, Also YOU will be the only one who empties it.... nobody else will take their turn.

You can get a whole Jabsco manual toilet for not much over £100 (for some reason even simple service kits are a good fraction of that).

Huge number of threads already on the material for seacocks and skin fittings. DZR is good. Beware there are too many vague definitions of materials so it is hard to nail down dodgy or disorganised swindelries, so make sure you buy from a supplier that actually quotes the spec. CW602N is DZR, should be marked CR.

If you can't get the hose on then coating the inside with washing up liquid helps. If it still won't go over the end soak it in a mug of boiling water (I prefer to use an old mug rather than one that may be used for tea later in the day ).

+1 on want PaulRainbow says re double clipping and using stainless. Basic plated clips will be a mess 6 months later.

It is customary to skin you knuckles when working with the hoses. failure to do so just antagonises the boat gremlins so they come looking for you.

Oh and brief the crew on the twist and lock pumps - even if they're deperate for the toilet when they turn up at the boat. Otherwise you might get that 'I've unscrewed the handle and there's water coming in' call from the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    If the sea cocks are there I would definitely fit a flushing toilet. It looks as though the relatively inexpensive and well tried and tested Jabsco "twist and lock" will fit but heed the warnings to fit vented loops....

PITA emptying chemical toilets esp if you have to carry them any distance, Also YOU will be the only one who empties it.... nobody else will take their turn.
    hee hee, I know that well enough already from years of family camping. By "manual" I meant the kind of thing you describe as opposed to anything vacuum or electric.

hee hee, I know that well enough already from years of family camping. By "manual" I meant the kind of thing you describe as opposed to anything vacuum or electric.
    By Jabsco Twist and lock I meant the manual Jabscos as opposed to the much more expensive and, IMHO, superior Lavac

Emptying the Portapotti every now and then seems a good trade in for all the pump out loo hassle! You can also use it while peeps are swimming.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast