Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: SORRY, another dumb question. Toilet

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    You can get a whole Jabsco manual toilet for not much over 100 (for some reason even simple service kits are a good fraction of that).

Huge number of threads already on the material for seacocks and skin fittings. DZR is good. Beware there are too many vague definitions of materials so it is hard to nail down dodgy or disorganised swindelries, so make sure you buy from a supplier that actually quotes the spec. CW602N is DZR, should be marked CR.

If you can't get the hose on then coating the inside with washing up liquid helps. If it still won't go over the end soak it in a mug of boiling water (I prefer to use an old mug rather than one that may be used for tea later in the day ).

+1 on want PaulRainbow says re double clipping and using stainless. Basic plated clips will be a mess 6 months later.

It is customary to skin you knuckles when working with the hoses. failure to do so just antagonises the boat gremlins so they come looking for you.

Oh and brief the crew on the twist and lock pumps - even if they're deperate for the toilet when they turn up at the boat. Otherwise you might get that 'I've unscrewed the handle and there's water coming in' call from the heads.
    I am used to pain in the arse hose fittings in tiny spaces in engine bays, but if I get it wrong there we get a leak that will end after a couple of gallons... This is a whole new ball game, hence the questions. Yes I will clip the heck out if it all. I only use stainless clips for our vehicles for same reason, mud and immersion equals death or impossible to undo after a surprisingly short time. At work I pray to the gods of Steel and Thunder. i will acquaint myself with the boat gremlins also ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by neil_s View Post
    Emptying the Portapotti every now and then seems a good trade in for all the pump out loo hassle! You can also use it while peeps are swimming.
    Plus of course "love is" emptying the porta potti for your girls!
    I must say that emptying is not that bad, its well designed.
    Stu
    PS mine was only 49 and we carried it out to Faro as hold luggage and the liquid used imparts a nice smell to the second heads room
    Last edited by skipper_stu; 04-12-17 at 20:47.

i always found the dread of emptying it was most of the problem, once you get down to it, it not so bad. But I do have visions of staggering down a pontoon with it sloshing about enough to pitch me into the water. That would never be lived down, "Oh yes, we all saw it, he went down with his shit"

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    i always found the dread of emptying it was most of the problem, once you get down to it, it not so bad. But I do have visions of staggering down a pontoon with it sloshing about enough to pitch me into the water. That would never be lived down, "Oh yes, we all saw it, he went down with his shit"
    I tried to get the big one reasoning that it would need less trips emptying, Im glad I didnt! 2/3 full of the std size, three days of me and the dainty one is just comfortable to transport by hand.
    Stu

Emptying the Portapotti every now and then seems a good trade in for all the pump out loo hassle! You can also use it while peeps are swimming.
    You can still use a manual toilet while people are swimming, just pump it gently. The electric Jabsco is a definite no-no when people are swimming, they'll hear you 20 boats away

They had them on Lancaster bombers, but unless I were likely to be in enemy territory nothing would make me want to fit one. A basic Jabsco is so simple that anyone can use or service them. I would keep it simple, but fit syphon breaks if needed. My favourite compact loo was the SL400 but I haven't heard of them for yonks.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

All what hassle? Piss, pump, done. Multiple strokes rather than one press of a handle, but otherwise it's just like being on shore.

Relatively rare to be anchored around swimmers in the Solent - and frankly some of them are probably peeing in the sea while they swim anyway!

Pete

What is wrong with a bucket, for the ladies, if all you are going to do is day sails?
    Cynical Scots engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    What is wrong with a bucket, for the ladies, if all you are going to do is day sails?
    If you do choose buckets make sure which colour is for the washing up! Make sure people know why they are different colours. Usually means that miraculously they completely lose the desire to pee or worse.

If you go the proper installed loo route, make sure the sea cocks are well serviced, ground and seated properly. Will pay off!
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

I dont really understand your objection to the holding tank concept?
    Tanks are cheap enough and easy enough to maintain. Would seem to me to be better than having two separate systems. After all the biggest disadvantage i can see in pump out toilet, with or without a holding tank is the through hulls and sea cocks and you have decided to have those anyway.
    By having a portapotti you are just buying a different sort of holding tank!
    I have a porta-potti on my boat and its perfectly usable, and as someone said, the thought of emptying is worse than the actual doing, thanks to those lovely chemicals.

If i had room though, i would fit a manual toilet and holding tank and ditch the portapotti altogether.
    Would you rather carry a 15 litre tank of poo 200 metres or just open a valve?
    Last edited by John the kiwi; 05-12-17 at 04:05.
    Aiming to live forever or die in the attempt!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast