Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: SORRY, another dumb question. Toilet

Quote Originally Posted by John the kiwi View Post
    I dont really understand your objection to the holding tank concept?
    Tanks are cheap enough and easy enough to maintain. Would seem to me to be better than having two separate systems. After all the biggest disadvantage i can see in pump out toilet, with or without a holding tank is the through hulls and sea cocks and you have decided to have those anyway.
    By having a portapotti you are just buying a different sort of holding tank!
    I have a porta-potti on my boat and its perfectly usable, and as someone said, the thought of emptying is worse than the actual doing, thanks to those lovely chemicals.

If i had room though, i would fit a manual toilet and holding tank and ditch the portapotti altogether.
    Would you rather carry a 15 litre tank of poo 200 metres or just open a valve?
    Just to be clear, I dont think I have, the plumbing and seacocks for the loo are already there, just no toilet. So my idea was just to stick one in and use it. As for a holding tank, it's only 24ft boat so I discounted that.

Love the bucket comments, that is our current method in the 18footer ;-)
    We will be doing more than daysailing in the trident, especially with the luxury of an installed galley and running water. And a cabin big enough to exist in for ore than 30 seconds. Daysailing will still be the main activity though

Ah well i do understand.
    My boat is only 26 ft - with a stretchy tape. So space is at a premium.
    I have to say that the portapotti option has been a good solution and as said, why have duplicate systems?
    I have a thetford 20 litre jobby, (pun intended!). I have a small ratchet tie down strap that just goes over the lower tank and then i install the upper part.
    This makes it immobile and secure under all conditions. No holes in the hull. Whats not to like really?
    Aiming to live forever or die in the attempt!

No holes in the hull. Whats not to like really?
    The smell and having to empty it (ugh) compared to just flushing with saltwater.

I've 11 holes in the hull so far and about to get 2 more with keel cooled fridge so I guess I have a more relaxed attitude to seacocks compared to blue poo.

Someone earlier mentioned "the right hose" Last year I replaced the existing 2005 Jabsco with a Twist 'n' Lock, but more to the point used the expensive Vetus Sanitation hose. Well, what a revelation, although the hose was nearly as expensive as the bog, it was SOOOOOO worth it. On the previous install (when I was younger and fitter) I spent over half a day trying to get the outlet hose on. The Vetus stuff slipped on easily, and was watertight from day one... Well worth the cost IMHO
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

In your Trident you’ll need a Jabsco small head, a vent to fit the soil pipe and the white sanitary pipes to fit the in and out connections. Also, get good stainless jubilee clips (2 to a joint).

When you come to fit the hoses to the seacocks you will also need a wooden hull plug and heat gun. PM me and I’ll tell you how the pro’s do it. (I know because one told me!)

Ah well i do understand.
    My boat is only 26 ft - with a stretchy tape. So space is at a premium.
    I have to say that the portapotti option has been a good solution and as said, why have duplicate systems?
    I have a thetford 20 litre jobby, (pun intended!). I have a small ratchet tie down strap that just goes over the lower tank and then i install the upper part.
    This makes it immobile and secure under all conditions. No holes in the hull. Whats not to like really?
    if the sea cocks were not already there I wouldn't have bothered with it, and stuck with a bucket, and a portapotty for special occasions, lol. It just seems a good way to make the seacocks safe, and the boat more complete.

Built my own composting head for under $50.Love it.
    Search airhead.com, or natures head ,or sea head.

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post
    In your Trident you’ll need a Jabsco small head, a vent to fit the soil pipe and the white sanitary pipes to fit the in and out connections. Also, get good stainless jubilee clips (2 to a joint).)
    Wish i'd thought of that

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRainbow View Post
    Wish i'd thought of that
    You did. I just said it again.

I would recommend a Lavac. Minimum of moving parts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123