Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 9v Batteries for 406 EPIRB

One for the electro technos! Given the almost impossibility of finding the correct 3 x 3v batteries required for my McMurdo 406 EPIRB (complete with tabs), I'd like views on the viability of a plan without numerous comments of the 'what price ones safety' type! I reckon I can get 6 x 9v DD batteries (the small rectangular type) in the unit. If I connected them up in parallel, is there any reason why they shouldn't do the same or similar job other than the fact they don't have the same shelf life and one would probably change them every year. The cost implications are huge, e.g. £10 for 9v Duracell v. £100 for a type if you can get them v. the cost of a new EPIRB just for getting the batteries changed by an 'expert'. I look forward to any informed responses.

Default Re: 9v Batteries for 406 EPIRB

Presuming the cells are "D" type lo26sx-SAFT, they have a 7.75Ah capacity (cf with ~0.5Ah for a P cell) and are very low self discharge. Hope you never need it!

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Presuming the cells are "D" type lo26sx-SAFT, they have a 7.75Ah capacity (cf with ~0.5Ah for a P cell) and are very low self discharge. Hope you never need it!
    Looks good! http://www.battery2batteries.com/saf...ithium-d-cell/
    Stu
    Last edited by skipper_stu; 05-12-17 at 11:23.

The transmit current on an EPIRB is not small. The Lithium batteries are chosen with that in mind.
    £100 for the right battery that lasts 5 years is only 20 quid a year.
    Plus if you pay to have the battery changed, I think they properly test the whole unit?

Thanks for the responses but you are not reading the question. My point was that I have not been able to trace the SAFT Lo26 SX, unlike 6 years ago from RS Components or anyone else, and if you follow the link provided by skipper_stu the provider is an American company that doesn't post outside the USA! The nearest equivalent from RS Components are not supplied, by them at least, with tabs. Been all through that so the gist of the question was the viability of 6 x 9v batteries in parallel. The voltage is fine but would they have, for example, the oomph to provide 24 hours of transmitting??

Let me know how you get on. I have the mcmurdo g4. Mines past its battery expiry and I'm appalled at the cost of a new battery. It looked to me like the original battery is made of three x 3v cells that each have the form factor of a 1.5v 'D' cell but as you have found ill be buggered if i can find a place to purchase them, solder tagged or otherwise.

I love how so many people take exception to somebody daring to change a battery themselves or indeed make up the battery cell. If the voltage and ampere hour is matched then it will work as intended. Thought this was the 'practical boat owner' thread! Probably why the last time I picked up a copy in the newsagents, I was shocked to see a magazine about a third the thickness of the PBO I remember with nothing but adverts and a few naff handheld vhf or sailing boot reviews.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by theotter View Post
    Thanks for the responses but you are not reading the question. My point was that I have not been able to trace the SAFT Lo26 SX, unlike 6 years ago from RS Components or anyone else, and if you follow the link provided by skipper_stu the provider is an American company that doesn't post outside the USA! The nearest equivalent from RS Components are not supplied, by them at least, with tabs. Been all through that so the gist of the question was the viability of 6 x 9v batteries in parallel. The voltage is fine but would they have, for example, the oomph to provide 24 hours of transmitting??
    I did a google search that showed up some suppliers in the UK

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=SA...w=1920&bih=949
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/ybrn7prn

Quote Originally Posted by theotter View Post
    No.
    Here's some data on a typical PP3.
    Sorry can't make the link work, but look at Farnell they have datasheets for Duracell industrial batteries.
    Compared to the 9Ah of the lithium batteries, they are a joke. I'd guess you might get somewhere around one tenth of the effective capacity.
    They possibly have too high an internal resistance to run a EPIRB from 6 of them anyway.

PP3's are designed for low current applications.
    EPIRB batteries are designed for high energy density, high power and long storage life. They are expensive for a reason.
    Last edited by lw395; 05-12-17 at 16:58.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    EPIRB batteries are designed for high energy density, high power and long storage life. They are expensive for a reason.
    I suspect you flatter them, for a substantial part of that 'reason' is profit. Or should that be 'profiteering'? My last EPIRB, a reputable Stateside brand, had a bundle of Li-ion cells wrapped as a unit. The cost of OE replacement was astronomical. Yet the wrapping contained no more than a few freely-available cells. The equivalents from Sanyo (also a reputable brand) cost 13 quid, delivered. I suppose I did have to lash out for some tape to bind them together.

P.S. If I remember correctly, the OE cells were made by...Sanyo.
    Last edited by macd; 05-12-17 at 17:54.
    Mac

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Looking at the info from SAFT for 3v Li batteries I found Li-Mno2 D cell batteries that are 3 volt but have a a capacity of 13 Ah almost twice the SO26SX as I also have in my 406 EPIRB.

May be technology has moved on and the SO26SX have been replaced with better ones. The increase capacity would allow the EPIRB to continue to transmit for almost twice as long as originally specified.

SAFT LM 33550 or SAFT M20

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/d-batteries/8602815/

or here

http://ukbatterysales.co.uk/brand/sa...li-mno2-range/
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/ybrn7prn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast