Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question No Insurance Cover Dehumidifiers For Fire Risk on Boats?

I'm looking for advice on dehumidifiers for this winter.

Friend of mine said insurance companies now not covering dehumidifiers on boats sink a boat sank on the South Coast last year due to fire from a dehumidifier. I cant find anything about this on line so I did a little more digging.

Sure enough, the few popular dehumidifiers say in the user manual "not to be used unattended" but that is the whole point right. Also spoke to some companies who said they had to withdraw their dehumidifier from the market due to legislation change but could not tell me what the legislation was.

I see some new more expensive dehumidifiers out there that are a bit more commercial but first want to know the article that highlights the issues with dehumidifiers on boats, fire risks and what the exception is if there is one??

Help most appreciated before I buy one!

Default Re: No Insurance Cover Dehumidifiers For Fire Risk on Boats?

A list of dehumidifiers approved for use unattended would be very useful.
    #WeAreScotland
    A1

Why not just ask your proposed insurance company?

The Meaco dd8L dehumidifier is said, by the makers , to be suitable for boats
    https://www.meacodehumidifiers.co.uk...SAAEgJfXPD_BwE

Contact your insurance company they hold the risk.

Personally, I've never need needed to use one as ventilation is the key.
    Cynical Scots engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Contact your insurance company they hold the risk.

Personally, I've never need needed to use one as ventilation is the key.
    Sorry, but ventilation is second best, a long way behind using a dehumidifier, for keeping a boat dry and damp free. Try one before you knock it.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Take a look at this article on home dehumidifiers.. pretty frightening https://youtu.be/w82980oDR4w

Manufacturers can lie and Meaco are not a manufacturer. they seem to be an importer of chinese goods. Can find their models all over the web. Even B&Q have units on recall for fire...

The "girl" i spoke too hadnt a clue which gave me no confidence. Obviously some are good and I found something about a "DryBoat" unit which looks promising but never heard of one before its new.

Quote Originally Posted by boatyguy View Post

Friend of mine said insurance companies now not covering dehumidifiers on boats sink a boat sank on the South Coast last year due to fire from a dehumidifier. I cant find anything about this on line so I did a little more digging.

Sure enough, the few popular dehumidifiers say in the user manual "not to be used unattended" but that is the whole point right. Also spoke to some companies who said they had to withdraw their dehumidifier from the market due to legislation change but could not tell me what the legislation was.

I see some new more expensive dehumidifiers out there that are a bit more commercial but first want to know the article that highlights the issues with dehumidifiers on boats, fire risks and what the exception is if there is one??

There's something about yachtsman that makes some of them prone to inventing rules for themselves and trying to convince others to follow them. I've never come across it amongst any other group of people (except maybe local councillors). I've never had rules on de-humidifiers mentioned by any insurance company, and I read the small print. I've never heard of a claim being rejected because a de-humidifier was used. People make a fuss when insurance claims are rejected and it costs the insurance company business, even if they were in the right (q.v. Admiral about 15 years ago).

In the end there are only a small number of infrequent incidents caused by de-humidifiers. Purely from what I've seen in the news, and given boating incidents are reported in mags, forums like this etc, I'd reckon you probably stand a bigger chance of your house blowing up with a gas leak than your boat being destroyed by fire caused by a de-humidifier.

The definitive answer will only come from your insurance company. If you find the rules too stringent push back and tell them you're concerned they're obstructing you maintaining the condition of the boat and see what agreement you can get.

That said I rarely leave one unattended for any length of time, mainly because I find leaving a de-humidifier on long term on a low setting seems to achieve a lot less than bursts on full setting backed up by a bit of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by boatyguy View Post

Friend of mine said PBO magazine had an article on this very subject about a year ago, so by coincidence you've posted on the right forum!
    There will be a link to the Editor's contact details somewhere on the YBW website. They might be able to sell you a back issue.
    #WeAreScotland
    A1

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast