Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Hydraulic emergency bilge pump or generator

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Last time i looked into this a clutched hydraulic pump fitted to a PRM 500 gearbox was near £1k. Don't know the litres/minute number, but to drive my 1 ton pot hauler. Belt driven bilge pumps, with either manual or electric clutch, are going to fail if water gets to high, belts will slip, lecs will fail. But in that case, how much longer will the engine be running? Water that high is entering the (my) sump through the breather. You could look at an
    auxiliary engine to run all sorts, genny/pump/240volt etc, and hydraulics for winches. Gives you charge for starting, lots to be said for it.
    Using hydraulics for a genny or bilge pump is not usual, there are power losses in pipework, and every item would need a hydraulic motor, plus flow splitters.
    Good point. If that is the cost you could get self contained small diesel for less than that.

Tui's My Oyster Blog http://tuioyster.blogspot.co.uk/

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Bi111ion View Post
    Good point. If that is the cost you could get self contained small diesel for less than that.
    I have been thinking of converting my bow thruster to hydraulic by mounting a pump so it can be driven direct from the front extension of the crank shaft. This needs some fabricated mounting and a dog clutch and would be much cheaper that the power takeoff from the PRM gearbox. I also have a PRM gearbox and the cost of the PRM power takeoff attachment puts that method out of teach for me.

I also have a small single cylinder mains generator and would use a mains submersible pump powered my the mains generator for emergency bilge pumping.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/ybrn7prn

I used hydraulics on my previous boat, for the anchor winch/windlass. For that, hydraulic power is unbeatable. You can set the relief valve so that the windlass will pull, say 1 ton, and it will sit there pulling 1 ton for as long as you like. If you try to do that with an electric windlass, it will stall and trip out.

There are inefficiencies in any drive chain, but it is surely more efficient driving a pump directly from an engine, rather than introducing another pump (hydraulic), and another motor (hydraulic), between the power source and the bilge pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogershaw View Post
    I have been thinking of converting my bow thruster to hydraulic by mounting a pump so it can be driven direct from the front extension of the crank shaft. This needs some fabricated mounting and a dog clutch and would be much cheaper that the power takeoff from the PRM gearbox. I also have a PRM gearbox and the cost of the PRM power takeoff attachment puts that method out of teach for me.

I also have a small single cylinder mains generator and would use a mains submersible pump powered my the mains generator for emergency bilge pumping.
    One disadvantage of the PTO front drive is when your alternator belts need changing, and the length, a couple of feet needed in front of the engine. However, it is standard fit for FVs and can be bought off the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    One disadvantage of the PTO front drive is when your alternator belts need changing, and the length, a couple of feet needed in front of the engine. However, it is standard fit for FVs and can be bought off the shelf.
    Fair comment but if the design of the dog clutch is such that there is a small gap when thr clutch is disengaged you can pass a replacement Vee belt between the 2 sections of the clutch.

Fair comment but if the design of the dog clutch is such that there is a small gap when thr clutch is disengaged you can pass a replacement Vee belt between the 2 sections of the clutch.
    Not a usual configuration, maybe possible. If you buy from eg Spencer Carter you get a clutched pump unit with a blank shaft for coupling of your choice, mine is a spider coupling. The clutch is enclosed. Most dog clutches would require the dogs to be running on a mutual shaft, so no gap. When the belts went this summer and took out the spare belts which are zip tied to the engine I had to use a makeshift string hoist to lift the pump/clutch out of the way. Link belt to get you home is a good option.

See one here:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sp...q8mGLC5TiQjKM:

The non clutch PTO is around £300 https://www.asap-supplies.com/prm-mt...-take-off-unit , still a lot for something so simple. The clutched one is a still nearly a grand https://www.asap-supplies.com/brands...ff-unit-mt0528

Are there other engine gearbox combinations with a cheaper PTO? I am looking at around 60hp?
    Last edited by Bi111ion; 07-12-17 at 12:35. Reason: Found price of other one

I am a fan of belt drives, much more versatile in mounting options, but depends on side load limits for the PTO of your engine. Multiple or banded V belts can transmit a lot of power, go for Fenner. There will be safety issues with exposed belts. When I first got a computer and had to use an inverter, (FIT2 now, runs off a gnat's treadmill) long periods ticking over, flat batteries, I thought I would simply install a water cooled diesel power pack. 240v, run a microwave and kettle instead of carrying gas, nice fridge/freezer, backup start, what's not to like? I would also have run the hydraulics from it so propulsion engine speed would not be an issue affecting winch speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bi111ion View Post
    The non clutch PTO is around £300 https://www.asap-supplies.com/prm-mt...-take-off-unit , still a lot for something so simple. The clutched one is a still nearly a grand https://www.asap-supplies.com/brands...ff-unit-mt0528

Are there other engine gearbox combinations with a cheaper PTO? I am looking at around 60hp?
    Interesting.

I happen to have a triple hydraulic pump setup in my garage that I got some years ago when I stripped an old road sweeper for the perkins 4 108 engine that I later sold. It came with a hydraulic starter motor.

I also acquires an hydraulic winch that was from a mine winder for the motor that I was planning to use for a hydraulic propulsion system but did it the normal way with an old PRM box.

On my engine (an old leyland truck engine) I made provision to multiply drives from the front end and was not aware of the PRM power takeoff system you posted, but the shear cost and the fact as my gearbox is not a current model I do not know it would fit. As I do have a full engineering workshop at home I could put something together that would suit me and that I could fiddle with.

The front of my engine. The front crank shaft has 3 vee belt pulleys one each for the 2 alternators and one for the fresh water pump. The shaft is extended so I could fit a direct drive or purther belt drives with an extra supporting bearing on the front,

There is a clutched PMR MT0528 for £90 buy it now on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRM-Gearb...oAAOSw3xVaDbZt just now, so maybe not such a bad option (The clutched one fits the PMR 1000 gearbox but not the 500 so for a bigger boat than mine or I might buy it!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast