Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where would you look for a project sailing boat?

Hi,

I hope this is ok to post as it's a bit more about seeking advice on finding a new home than a for sale and I'm deliberately not posting too many details for this reason.

I have a colleague at work who is looking for a new home for his Invador 20 bilge keeler. He's advertised in local press and on eBay a number of times since the spring and 'sold' a few times but people just don't turn up. It's not that they don't like it when they get there, they just bid without viewing and then never make contact! He's had the most bizarre string of time wasters/dreamers imaginable... Is that bad luck or perhaps commonplace for this type of item?

Although I've had a few boats, sails aren't really my thing and thus I know little about the market for this type of project so really I'm looking for ideas of where someone might look for budget end sailing boat project?

I'm of the belief that eBay probably isn't the best place for things like this and he probably needs a more genuine/specific audience. He's not looking for much (he put on eBay for 99p with no reserve) so that rules out brokers and the like. Is it perhaps a time/persistence thing? The boat is structurally sound and fairly tidy, but needs some cosmetic work, so by no means a 'big' project. Other motorboat friends have sold via similar channels but without all the problems.

I'd be really interested in how/where people found their projects - particularly at the entry end of the market. I'm suspecting that many will be via friends etc as this is how I've acquired two of mine!

Many thanks,

Robin
    Follow my boat ramblings - https://www.facebook.com/RobsBoatDiary/

Default Re: Where would you look for a project sailing boat?

Might be worth trying "Yachts & Yachty bits for sale" on faceache.

Gumtree. it is more geographically specific, and for people like the wife and I who like to buy and try every kind of yacht/dinghy/canoe we can get our hands on, it is easy and free of ebay deadlines/auction ends etc. When done with them we just put them back on gumtree. Buy cheap, sell cheap.

Basically any free advert website.
    Gumtree?
    Local clubs? E.g those that have drying moorings for small boats.
    Facebook, but maybe try to get it mentioned on the pages of suitable local clubs?

I sold our 20ft bilge keeler on ebay. I think people often don't put much effort into doing their adverts on ebay. I'd do a classified ad and put a realistic price on it. Starting at 99p is asking for timewasters! His boat may not be in as good condition, but taking a few decent photo's and doing a meaningful write up should find the "right" buyer.
    I also did a web page (easy enough if you spend a bit of time learning it on Weebley) - here https://vivacitysailboat.weebly.com/
    I got the idea off the guy we bought our boat off - here: http://marconcutlass27.weebly.com/
    Anyways - those might give him some ideas! :-)
    Cutlass 27

Thanks all.

He's tried Gumtree, not sure about Facebook - I'll find out if he uses.

I agree about the 99p and timewasters, but I think he tried a Classified first for a couple of times at 300/250 ish.

I'll suggest local clubs, but I doubt he'll know any as he's only had the boat a few years and they've not used much. I don't either, but I have some contacts and can probably find a few. I'm not sure there are that many as local harbour authorities look after most mooring in the area.

The web page is a good idea, probably a bit overkill for the value of the boat, but I have a number of domains I could put a page on for him. He's sending some pictures, so I'll see what they're like.

Cheers,

Robin
    Follow my boat ramblings - https://www.facebook.com/RobsBoatDiary/

The reality is that very few people want that sort of boat, at any price. There is no specific place where people look for such things and he has tried the obvious places.

Not very helpful I know but perhaps another go at advertising in the spring when the market may be a bit more active.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    The reality is that very few people want that sort of boat, at any price. There is no specific place where people look for such things and he has tried the obvious places.

Not very helpful I know but perhaps another go at advertising in the spring when the market may be a bit more active.

Could not agree more. might have been different 3-4 years ago, but prices have failen so fast for older boats making project boats simply unviable now.

Steveeasy

To be honest - at the moment you would have a job to give it away free ! Wish I was looking now for a project- rather than 15 years back !

Quote Originally Posted by MarcJ View Post
    I sold our 20ft bilge keeler on ebay. I think people often don't put much effort into doing their adverts on ebay. I'd do a classified ad and put a realistic price on it. Starting at 99p is asking for timewasters! His boat may not be in as good condition, but taking a few decent photo's and doing a meaningful write up should find the "right" buyer.
    I also did a web page (easy enough if you spend a bit of time learning it on Weebley) - here https://vivacitysailboat.weebly.com/
    I got the idea off the guy we bought our boat off - here: http://marconcutlass27.weebly.com/
    Anyways - those might give him some ideas! :-)
    +1 to the above.

I sold previous boat recently via a classified ad on eBay with a sensible price. Those that are genuinely interested need to make contact with you, arrange viewing etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast