Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Recommend an LPG 12 Volt GasAlarm

If you can wait until about February when I get back to my boat, I will be replacing my NASA unit with the BEP unit - so my NASA unit (and spare sensor) will be for sale.
    I'd miss my compost heap

There was this thread http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...3-Lpg-detector last week.

Derek

Just a couple of quick questions. I assume these are not wireless devices i.e that the remote sensors will be wired and secondly is it normal practice to wire these direct to the battery?

They are a wired sensor and then the head unit on all our commercial stuff and most pleasure boat stuff is wired to a permenant live (to the battery so to speak). Sometimes owners like them switched but on startup they usually go through an annoying loud beeping self setup/test function.

Quote Originally Posted by paella View Post
    Just a couple of quick questions. I assume these are not wireless devices i.e that the remote sensors will be wired and secondly is it normal practice to wire these direct to the battery?
    Electrics & electronics in Suffolk and at Southwold Boatyard
    + Eberspacher & Webasto

Quote Originally Posted by matthewriches View Post
    They are a wired sensor and then the head unit on all our commercial stuff and most pleasure boat stuff is wired to a permenant live (to the battery so to speak). Sometimes owners like them switched but on startup they usually go through an annoying loud beeping self setup/test function.
    They should be wired direct to a permanent live and always on so if there's a leak, they warn you before you switch anything on. Just the act of switching something can ignite the gas

I had a Neres single sensor alarm on my old boat and it went off twice when gas leaked into the cabin due to a fautly bottle valve. On my present boat I have a Nereus combined gas and CO alarm. I also drives a solenoid to cut the gas off at the bottlle. LPG sensor is mounted at cabin sole level, CO sensor at head level when seated. Never gone off but tests as OK.
    I'm a big fan of Nereus as the sensors still work when they have got wet. I don't plan to immerse the sensor but reassuring to know it will be OK if it does get wey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12