Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Around Ireland...which way and why?

My mate and myself have moved from nite school to the pub phase of a little goal we have. As above? what time of the year is best and how long should we tell our wives were going to be away for,excluding little stops for a pint when the weather closes in! starting Holyhead. assuming 5knots, say approx 50 miles per day. ta Nik

Default Re: Around Ireland...which way and why?

AFAIK clockwise is the way to go, not really sure why but the round the island race goes in that direction and I think the west coast is the toughest section in terms of distance between watering holes and that section will have S,SW or W winds.
    HR352 for sale, see YBW Boats for Sale.

Quote Originally Posted by pandos View Post
    AFAIK clockwise is the way to go, not really sure why but the round the island race goes in that direction and I think the west coast is the toughest section in terms of distance between watering holes and that section will have S,SW or W winds.
    Plus if you get as far as say, Dingle, and decide you need to turn back, rather than carry on, you will have seen the best bits, and can see some more on the way back
    Narrowboating From Stretford!!

Gulf stream flows up the W coast, so I would go clockwise .
    That's a good a reason as any!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Have a read of SALT AND EMERALD - A hesitant solo voyage round Ireland, by Alastair Scott.
    www.backbearing.com. Astronavigation resources.

Clockwise as above. Be warned, the SW/W and NW coasts are gorgeous and you may want to linger.

There is quite a long haul (~60m) without much shelter from the north side of the Dingle peninsula to the Aran Islands in Galway Bay, otherwise not difficult.
    Last edited by Minchsailor; 07-12-17 at 08:43.

1) Buy the Irish Crusing Club guides, great publications and list pretty much every anchorage on the Island https://www.iccsailingbooks.com/
    2) Dingle to Aran is indeed a trek but Fenit and Kilrush both have marinas onroute and scattery Island just off Kilrush is well worth a visit , it just scooped a big award https://www.independent.ie/life/trav...-36260526.html

Prevailing winds are SW which aids passage going north while on the west coast.

Strong tidal flows N/S in the Irish sea facilitate easy passages south with the tide on the East side.

Thanks for all the tips. I think that cruising book is the answer. Just to make it a little more exciting for us we thought we'd do it without a chart plotter and have an emergency hand held GPs with a few compass rose's in it. I know that doesn't sound very adventurous for you grown up people but for the "young ones" like me thats a bit of a challenge! I'll keep you posted. Ta Nik (I'm not really called Nik but my mum says I've not to use my real name on the internet because you don't know who your talking to)

Nigel Calder went anti-clockwise:

http://www.oceannavigator.com/Novemb...ng-way-around/

Sounded a bit grim.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast