Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Around Ireland...which way and why?

I did this trip in July. We went clockwise as that’s how most people have done it!

We went clockwise for the reasons given above.

We had six weeks off to do it in and wasted a fair bit of that dawdling down the east coast. We now wished we'd put the foot down until getting to the SW corner where it goes from really good sailing to amazing.

We didn't have GPS and the LORAN was patchy. We took a LW radio for the shipping forecast but invariably missed the midnight one as we were either still in the pub or crashed out after yet another fantastic day. And of course we always slept in for the morning forecast..

We will take longer and do it properly next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matata View Post
    Thanks for all the tips. I think that cruising book is the answer. Just to make it a little more exciting for us we thought we'd do it without a chart plotter and have an emergency hand held GPs with a few compass rose's in it. I know that doesn't sound very adventurous for you grown up people but for the "young ones" like me thats a bit of a challenge! I'll keep you posted. Ta Nik (I'm not really called Nik but my mum says I've not to use my real name on the internet because you don't know who your talking to)
    Pilot charts for August =>

Even going old school nav it might be worth having a netbook with Opencpn on it just in case....
    Great for displaying weather as well

looking at that pilot chart with the wind roses, I'd be tempted to go anti clockwise
    I would imagine being in the pub while the big sw'lys blow and then taking the nw'lys as the low passes north? Particularly on the exposed west coast with limited shelter, then on the south coast you would have the sw'lys up your backside and lots of short hops and harbours to make use of them but still run away somewhere if they get a bit much.

When I was looking at going round however, it seemed pretty much 50/50 whichever way you went.

I'd definitely say as long as you can possibly get, it looks fabulous, and a lot of pubs to get round.

Read wallace clark, and the excellent peter marshall book, celtic gold, as well as alistair scott's.
    Last edited by steve yates; 07-12-17 at 17:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Matata View Post
    Just to make it a little more exciting for us we thought we'd do it without a chart plotter and have )
    why bother? We get fog and darkness and there are small islands and rocks many, carefully and accurately plotted, at times you will be more than happy to have plotters, radar and anything else that you might have to hand.

Surely you can think of something else to make excitement....

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    looking at that pilot chart with the wind roses, I'd be tempted to go anti clockwise .
    There's something to be said for that, Steve. I once sailed from Carnsore Point to Baltimore via Brittany for the reasons you suggest. OK, I did have plenty of time on my hands and wasn't too bothered where I went, but the S coast at the time promised a right old slog. There's no right way, but on balance clockwise seems somewhat preferred because the likelihood is that much of the beating will be under a weather shore down the E coast, rather than over great lumpy seas off the W coast. The OP would be wise to be flexible, deciding for or against the general wisdom on the basis of long-term forecast trends on the eve of his departure. With a start in Holyhead, he's well-placed to do so.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by steve yates View Post
    looking at that pilot chart with the wind roses, I'd be tempted to go anti clockwise
    I would imagine being in the pub while the big sw'lys blow and then taking the nw'lys as the low passes north?
    Counter argument to that is that the seas will take longer to die down after the fronts pass than they will in more sheltered waters.

Live aboard the boat- New Zealand at present

I went clockwise and I left from Menai Bridge mid June. In a 25ft boat it took me a month, including holding up waiting for gales to pass through- that was all the leave I had but I wished I had more time as there are so many place to visit and enjoy. I had no chart plotter, you don't really need one as you will mostly following the coast and used paper charts but did have a GPS. Enjoy it

Thanks Dansaskip just what we needed to hear. For my mate he's a busy guy and always needs to keep his ear to the ground. Do you think he'd get a phone signal all the way around? I suggested txting and picking them up when available signal?

Quote Originally Posted by wully1 View Post
    We went clockwise for the reasons given above.

We had six weeks off to do it in and wasted a fair bit of that dawdling down the east coast. We now wished we'd put the foot down until getting to the SW corner where it goes from really good sailing to amazing.

We didn't have GPS and the LORAN was patchy. We took a LW radio for the shipping forecast but invariably missed the midnight one as we were either still in the pub or crashed out after yet another fantastic day. And of course we always slept in for the morning forecast..

We will take longer and do it properly next time.
    Weather also broadcast by Irish Coastguard four times daily, RTE Radio 1 four times daily, see relevant websites for times, it's also in Reeds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast