Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Webasto controller PCB, does this look OK to you?

My 28-year-old Webasto heater has packed up and my local repair man says it's the controller. To replace will cost the best part of 2K. With nothing to lose, I prised off the aluminium cover to reveal the circuit board and noticed several cream-coloured blobs that looked like they had oozed out of the larger components which I think are capacitors. However the blobs might be something that's supposed to be there, perhaps as heat sinks. Can someone who knows about these things please advise?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Webasto controller PCB, does this look OK to you?

That looks like some sort of glue which is slathered on to prevent the tall components vibrating, fatiguing their legs.

Can't comment on the blobs though the suggestion about ant vibration properties could have merit.
    What heater model is this for?
    I have successfully repaired a few of these type of ECU's by just checking components and circuits.

I had a lot of older eberspacher and webastos ECUs left in my workshop and my policy was just to sell them off at reasonable
    rates ( by which I mean 50!) even the top ebay rate seemed to be around 200 so I don't know where the 2000 came from.
    I will look around all the workshop nooks and crannies just on the off chance that I have one!!

Agree it's glue. The little tails visible on 2 of the blobs indicate that they were part of the manufacturing process.

2k seems incredibly steep, I would seek alternative opinion from someone who fixes Webasto, not a main dealer ie ebay, seem to be some reputable repairers/dealers on there.

The cream coloured blobs look like glue to me, the capacitors i have seen fail split/burst very obvious.

PS !!
    I 'knew' I had seen one!
    Well, almost!
    I have found an identical looking ECU numbered as follows SG1560/12v 23004 5hb 004 327-08

I cannot recall or find what heater it belongs to nor am I sure of its provenance. A hand written label by me says" DBW DDW"
    and another party has written tested OK 17-11-07 !!

If the OP does his homework and can use it then all I need is a donation to my 'Sally Army' charity ( 25 sounds reasonable??)

Quote Originally Posted by pcatterall View Post
    PS !!
    If the OP does his homework and can use it then all I need is a donation to my 'Sally Army' charity ( 25 sounds reasonable??)
    That would be very much appreciated! I'll PM you with my email address and phone number.

Sorry I've tried to PM pcatterall but there's nothing in my Sent items. Could you please PM me instead, thanks! Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tony_lavelle View Post
    Sorry I've tried to PM pcatterall but there's nothing in my Sent items. Could you please PM me instead, thanks! Tony
    Yep! all PMs have arrived! Item packed posting today or Friday. Lets hope for success!!

There's a new control box for 300 here - https://www.melloronline.co.uk/shop....models=HL2432D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast