Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fuel filter bowl too deep?

On our engine we have a CAV type filter with aluminium bowl and off-centre drain plug. The bowl is big and more or less rests on the gear shift cable which passes beneath it. This makes getting it off to change the filter a real bore. Could I just swap it for a shallower bowl? Or is there some arcane reason for the present arrangement? I realise that I would also need a shorter through-bolt (or whatever it is called). And presumably a glass bowl would be a bad idea.

Default Re: Fuel filter bowl too deep?

Jusr swap it

Quote Originally Posted by jsl View Post
    On our engine we have a CAV type filter with aluminium bowl and off-centre drain plug. The bowl is big and more or less rests on the gear shift cable which passes beneath it. This makes getting it off to change the filter a real bore. Could I just swap it for a shallower bowl? Or is there some arcane reason for the present arrangement? I realise that I would also need a shorter through-bolt (or whatever it is called). And presumably a glass bowl would be a bad idea.
    I like the glass bowl, shine a bit of light on it and you can see any water in there, unfortunately because my primary filter is in the engine compartment the Boat Safety Regs. that I must comply with on the canal do not permit it, they made me change the nylon drain plug to metal too.
    I agree that a shallow bowl should cope with any crud that gets that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I agree that a shallow bowl should cope with any crud that gets that far.
    If the filter's plumbed correctly, the bowl only contains filtered fuel, so there shouldn't be any crud in it.

I've replaced mine this winter to something that is in a position that is easy to change and to a top filter loader so I can change it easily. Why the old filter way positioned where it was, behind the engine and under a bunk, is anybody's guess.
    Cynical Scots engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    If the filter's plumbed correctly, the bowl only contains filtered fuel, so there shouldn't be any crud in it.
    I used to have a boat that almost always had water in it, that is what I thought it was for?

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    I used to have a boat that almost always had water in it, that is what I thought it was for?
    Yes, but the water goes through the filter element!
    But the crud doesn't.

Try SSL Diesel parts - a quick look at their site shows one deep and one shallow alloy bowl in the CAV filter parts range.

A couple of years ago I replaced my cav filter with a 'screw-on filter' making filter changing a doddle - the CAV was always a PITA...
    Got from SSLdiesel spares - a direct replacement.

I changed mine over to shallower bowls a few years ago.
    It's been a big improvement. Much easier to change the filters, so no real need to switch to spin on types, and also much less fuel wasted when changing filters. Quicker to bleed too, so it's a winner all round.
    If you have your fuel quality generally under control there's no real benefit in having the deeper bowls to catch water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast