Default Delivery Gibraltar to Cannes

Hi
    Just bought a new boat, a Hunton 37, in Gibraltar. She needs to be delivered to Cannes.
    Going by sea can anyone offer the following advice?
    Specifically:
    Paperwork? What is needed in marinas on check-in? (we don't have the SSR papers issued yet)
    Hassle from authorities en-route? We would cruise as fast as possible(30-45 knots dependent on conditions), does this raise suspicions with customs officials? Particularly in the Spanish/French border area.
    Is diesel available in any port of call? With 250-odd mile legs we are looking at Cartagena, Benicola and Empuriabrava.
    Many thanks for any local knowledge
    Jonathan

Default Re: Delivery Gibraltar to Cannes

Diesel in Roses, Argeles, St.Cyprien, Canet.

SSR should be issued within a few days, I just had to use a photostat of mine for recent delivery trip which was fine.
    You will need:
    SSR
    Insurance certificate
    Passports of all crew

The Spanish seem to like you to fill in a customs form when they catch up with you.

Carry and raise a French and Spanish courtesy flag when appropriate, (we’ve never flown a yellow flag).

If you have an AIS tx then keep it on - I recon this keeps them off your back but that’s just a hunch...

Have a good trip

Assume the boat is EU VAT paid. Otherwise you will pay VAT at first port of call or apply for Temporary Importation if you are eligible.

A rather simplistic statement which hides what could be very complicated so the advice is to make sure you know the VAT rules applicable to your and the boat's status and make sure you comply.

Generally speaking customs tend to be intellige led in their operations, so if you're not doing anything in Gib to spark interests, then they probably won't be interested in you for your entire trip.
    Diesel is readily available in most places on the coast, so you shouldn't have any worries on that front. Do fill up in Gib before you set off as the price is considerably lower there.
    Although it's rarely asked for, you should have your ICC and VHF certificates available. Never been asked for them in Spain but if you do encounter officialdom they might take it into their heads to ask to see them.
    Have a good trip and watch out for the weather which can be a bit horrid at that time of year.

We got hailed in the middle of the bay of roses on Ch 16.

Pay at long / lat heading 090 at 29 kts do you read. The second time I realised he speed and heading sounded like me so I replied!

They just wanted to know from To and ( I think ) number on board.

Watch the weather this time of year in bay of roses. Last week there was a mistral and it was still doing 45kts in menorca !

Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    We got hailed in the middle of the bay of roses on Ch 16.

Pay at long / lat heading 090 at 29 kts do you read. The second time I realised he speed and heading sounded like me so I replied!

They just wanted to know from To and ( I think ) number on board.

Watch the weather this time of year in bay of roses. Last week there was a mistral and it was still doing 45kts in menorca !
    It did 183km/h at Cap Bear. Which apparently is hurricane force winds but it is not a hurricane! You don't get hurricanes in the med.

Thanks for all the advice.
    Common sense has kicked in!
    Delivery by truck mid January.
    Cheers