Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Rope selection for splicing

In the days before tape I used to pass some whipping twine through the rope and tie off each thread in turn before cutting. I still do this sometimes if I can't be bothered to go looking for the tape.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Laundry starch? Wallpaper paste?

I've observed that Liros polyester ropes unlay when being spliced much more than Marlow or English Braids ropes do. I don't suppose it makes any difference to strength 'tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit (of Glenans) View Post
    Laundry starch? Wallpaper paste?
    Both ready to hand on-board!
    Then there is drying time . . .
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar 25 View Post
    The last two types of 3-strand mooring rope that I have tried to splice decided to fall apart once I separated the the three strands (i.e. the individual strands from each of the three strands straightened into a dozen or so separate strands) . Still managed to splice and eye into them but not as neat as previous attempts on my first spliced mooring rope. I have tried using hair spray and gel to hold them together but with little success. It would be better if they stayed together themselves.

Can someone please advise as to how do you decide which rope is suitable for splicing befre it is bought?
    definitely depends on the quality.

3 strand "S" lay i've found easiest. but i always wrap the strands and cut back. "Z" lay gives me the hump probably as i'm right handed.

One additional thing that can help is, once you've unlaid enough for the splice, to bind each of the three strands here and there along their length.

I find it helps, as suggested, to melt the ends of the individual strands, but to do so before you unravel them completely. It's the unravelling process that encourages them to individually unravel, as they are loosened up and free to do so.

Just separate the three strands, by about an inch and melt the ends then, while they are still wound up tight. It's harder for them to unravel then as they are "fixed". And of course, tape or tie off the rope at the end of the unravel, before actually unravelling. A home made fid helps. I've used a piece of coat hanger, with a small loop in one end, like the eye of a needle. You can twist the strands as you feed them through the rope, encouraging them to twist in the desired direction, against the direction of the unravel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12