Default 'Famous' yachtsman Peter Berry, John Taz Keady, et al jailed again

In summary, this undesirable unscrupulous person:

- spent many years conning people out of money especially women on dating sites
    - defrauded his own mother
    - told everybody he was a highly successful international yachtsman, the vast majority of which was fabricated
    - got sent to jail, released early on license, and carried on with his dirty tricks, was wanted by the police, changed his name so was 'on the run' when he moved to Lymington.

He started a very sophisticated aerial photography and drone business, joined both clubs, had a range of cars, boats et al. During this time, I helped him run a demo using drones to oversee match racing starts and short course racing, which he later used in a presentation at an RYA conference! He was always chatty, friendly and helpful, but one always got the impression something wasn't quite right.

He was eventually dobbed in by a small group of our members who had made further investigations, put a few pointers together, and notified the police.

He was arrested within 2 hours, and taken back to jail to see out his first sentence. Now he has been tried and sent down for another 8 years.

The bottom line is that the sailing community is very trusting of those within it, in a whole number of ways, but sadly this allows the odd rogue to infiltrate it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...women-70k.html
    Last edited by TallBuoy; 11-12-17 at 17:41.

Default Re: 'Famous' yachtsman Peter Berry, John Taz Keady, et al jailed again

That is not 'our' Taz, of blessed memory.

The photos are of two completely different persons.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    That is not 'our' Taz, of blessed memory.

The photos are of two completely different persons.
    Good point, thanks for the clarification!

Shame he didn't use his obvious talents to more honest aims, banking or insurance..We had a girl in the Algarve, who conned her way about with very convincing stories with enough detail to sound genuine. When things were getting a bit close, she legged it to Gib, travelling with a guy, but using his daughter's passport. We were all a bit puzzled at it all, as she didn't conn people out of much and it seemed a bit pointless. Then a contact told me that Mossad were looking for her......

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Shame he didn't use his obvious talents to more honest aims, banking or insurance.
    Oh come on. How far would an honest person make it in banking?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Well, according to Alex on the front page of the DT Business section they are all being replaced by AI Robots. No doubt programmed to dodgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Well, according to Alex on the front page of the DT Business section they are all being replaced by AI Robots. No doubt programmed to dodgy.
    Artificial Malevolence?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Artificial Malevolence?
    Today's edition shows one potential advantage. When the bosses are replaced by robots they act logically and fire all the compliance staff in order to reduce costs and increase profits. This comes about because to save money the robots are bought as self assembly and assembled by the "workers" (who hate the compliance folk) and can, of course programme them!

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    Shame he didn't use his obvious talents to more honest aims, ......
    Putting aside the banking quips, this is a sad facet of the whole thing. He is a highly intelligent guy, had to be to get away with so much for so long, and his drone business was ahead of the game in many ways. There is just something in the psyche which makes some people go off the rails.

I read DownWest's comment to mean three different options.