Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: Portals and Adriano hit by storm. Boats sunk

    my boat also all fine. there was some stronger winds last winter and some of the concrete blocks moved in the marina where you tie up the bow. this time however i think the waves were bigger even though the wind was not as strong.

    also would def not leave my boat at anchorage during the winter!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Looking out of the window
    Posts
    13,460

    Default Re: Portals and Adriano hit by storm. Boats sunk

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    70 degress with sun and light winds in Sant Carles today. But a pig to get to and a bit dead in the winter.
    I really don't find either of those to be true, but I accept that I tend to go out for a minimum of 4 days at a time so 2 hours from BCN airport really isn't a bother for me.

    As for dead, at least stuff is open. How much is open on the tourist centric islands? I can give you a list of nice restaurants that will be open right now. I prefer it less busy but then I know you like Shagaluf and I get it's not party central (thanks god)
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    14,116

    Default Re: Portals and Adriano hit by storm. Boats sunk

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitelighter View Post
    I really don't find either of those to be true, but I accept that I tend to go out for a minimum of 4 days at a time so 2 hours from BCN airport really isn't a bother for me.

    As for dead, at least stuff is open. How much is open on the tourist centric islands? I can give you a list of nice restaurants that will be open right now. I prefer it less busy but then I know you like Shagaluf and I get it's not party central (thanks god)
    San Antonio you mean! The restaurants are open in Portals through the winter (unlike Cala D'Or) which is totally dead. Palma also very much open through the winter. I'm happy enough being in SCM this winter but hope to try Palma next Winter. Regarding restaurants in SCM, my obeservation is that the ones on the front are the ones most likely to be closed. Agree that once you head into town there are places that are open.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sant Carles de la Rąpita
    Posts
    6,449

    Default Re: Portals and Adriano hit by storm. Boats sunk

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    San Antonio you mean! The restaurants are open in Portals through the winter (unlike Cala D'Or) which is totally dead. Palma also very much open through the winter. I'm happy enough being in SCM this winter but hope to try Palma next Winter. Regarding restaurants in SCM, my obeservation is that the ones on the front are the ones most likely to be closed. Agree that once you head into town there are places that are open.
    If fact, Pete, you are wrong.
    The ones on the front are open at this time of the year - the new Noray one (excellent Suchi/Sashimi) for example have said they will stay open all year round.
    Picalos is always open (except when DJEFABS comes to town!!)
    The Espaniol for steaks on the road up to Mercodonna is open.
    The Bonsai IS always open.
    Marie Lutz only closes for a couple of weeks each year for their holidays (in the autumn)
    And then there is always the Miami Mar Hotel - excellent value Spanish cuisine - especially off season.
    And all the tapas bars in the square are open.
    There are more and the Marina bar never closes - in fact they only close for the night after the last person has left the bar.

    I did the run (actually DJEFABS did the driving) to/from Barcelona lots of times last month.
    In fact a total of 10 journeys.
    It really isn't that far and the roads are always clear - unlike the UK roads.
    We were doing the trip from SC to Barcelona in just over one and a half hours.
    In fact, my last flight home I cut it fine and still made it in time.

    Barcelona has loads of connecting airports in the UK - I think there are often 7 BA flights a day from Heathrow.
    I use Bristol - at least 1 flight a day (Easyjet) - sometimes 2.
    And the same from Gatwick - again often 2 or 3 flights a day.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 14-12-17 at 17:14.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    151

    Default Re: Portals and Adriano hit by storm. Boats sunk

    Portals even has their Christmas market open on Christmas Day. Not that I have been. Was out 2 weeks ago and had to wait for a table at flanigans for breakfast! Was surprised at that time of year.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    14,116

    Default Re: Portals and Adriano hit by storm. Boats sunk

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    If fact, Pete, you are wrong.
    The ones on the front are open at this time of the year - the new Noray one (excellent Suchi/Sashimi) for example have said they will stay open all year round.
    Picalos is always open (except when DJEFABS comes to town!!)
    The Espaniol for steaks on the road up to Mercodonna is open.
    The Bonsai IS always open.
    Marie Lutz only closes for a couple of weeks each year for their holidays (in the autumn)
    And then there is always the Miami Mar Hotel - excellent value Spanish cuisine - especially off season.
    And all the tapas bars in the square are open.
    There are more and the Marina bar never closes - in fact they only close for the night after the last person has left the bar.

    I did the run (actually DJEFABS did the driving) to/from Barcelona lots of times last month.
    In fact a total of 10 journeys.
    It really isn't that far and the roads are always clear - unlike the UK roads.
    We were doing the trip from SC to Barcelona in just over one and a half hours.
    In fact, my last flight home I cut it fine and still made it in time.

    Barcelona has loads of connecting airports in the UK - I think there are often 7 BA flights a day from Heathrow.
    I use Bristol - at least 1 flight a day (Easyjet) - sometimes 2.
    And the same from Gatwick - again often 2 or 3 flights a day.
    Thanks Mike, we shall be trying a few of these whilst we're out.

    Regarding transfer times, unfortunately the drive from Barcelona to SCM is too long to make it viable for a long weekend. As you know were not committed to SCM so surely you'd agree that it would be fun to try different places (remember, in a small boat, it's not viable to spend weeks at anchor like you do in the summer so one's base is a little more critical). But that's the thing with marinas, it's all about compromises isn't it?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Plymouth. Boat - Alicante
    Posts
    844

    Default Re: Portals and Adriano hit by storm. Boats sunk

    For a young(ish?) person with a Targa 40 looking for a Spanish, long weekend, all year round marina I'd be looking at Palma, Alicante, Barcelona or Valencia, in that order. SCM would not be anywhere on my list.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Live London
    Posts
    2,602

    Default Re: Portals and Adriano hit by storm. Boats sunk

    As a follow up my man has sent me pics from boats he manages in Adriano.

    The cleats on a few big big boats are bent in two - so it was pretty beeezy.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    15,564

    Default Re: Portals and Adriano hit by storm. Boats sunk

    Quote Originally Posted by adey View Post
    For a young(ish?) person with a Targa 40 looking for a Spanish, long weekend, all year round marina I'd be looking at Palma, Alicante, Barcelona or Valencia, in that order. SCM would not be anywhere on my list.
    Well, that's a legitimate view.
    Otoh, there's something to be said about marinas that wouldn't be in most boaters' list.
    Due to several reasons, mine is one of them for good - thanks God, I hasten to add...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to