Default anodes for inner solent

The time is nigh for the Trident to get back into the water, it will spend most of it's time on the Itchen, opposite Kemps Quay.
    I am unsure what anodes will be best as I am unsure on how salty/brackish/fresh it is there on average as we are a long way upstream. Any Kemps quay peeps on here with advice?

Default Re: anodes for inner solent

MG Duff have all the answers and a lot of local knowledge.

http://mgduff.co.uk/
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by solent clown View Post
    The time is nigh for the Trident to get back into the water, it will spend most of it's time on the Itchen, opposite Kemps Quay.
    I am unsure what anodes will be best as I am unsure on how salty/brackish/fresh it is there on average as we are a long way upstream. Any Kemps quay peeps on here with advice?
    How many billions of gallons of fresh water come flowing down the Itchen into the sea?

I wouldn't be surprised if a greater volume of sewage comes out of Southampton.

So it's probably not that brackish.

I sue what they sell in the Chandlery Usually the McDuff zinc or similar from CC marine in Universal:

http://www.cc-marine.co.uk/Anodes/An...catalogue.html

If you get trout there it's fresh. If you get mullet it's probably salty, though there are fresh water mullet, but not in the uk I think. I love the idea of the 'inner Solent'!
    The only profound thing about me is my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by StormNorm View Post
    If you get trout there it's fresh. If you get mullet it's probably salty, though there are fresh water mullet, but not in the uk I think. I love the idea of the 'inner Solent'!
    Pleased you like the "inner solent" ;-) thats what the wife and I call the various rivers and creeks/mud flats we creep around. We have seen mullet bumping their bellies on the mud under the pontoon.

One of the main issues, solentclown, is that in brackish water zinc can react to become covered in a coating which renders the anode ineffective. The effect seems to vary from boat to boat (so your neighbour's anodes aren't necessarily a reliable guide), but will be clear from the behaviour of your zincs. Aluminium anodes work effectively in both brackish and full salt, if slightly less effectively than zinc in the latter.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by macd View Post
    One of the main issues, solentclown, is that in brackish water zinc can react to become covered in a coating which renders the anode ineffective. The effect seems to vary from boat to boat (so your neighbour's anodes aren't necessarily a reliable guide), but will be clear from the behaviour of your zincs. Aluminium anodes work effectively in both brackish and full salt, if slightly less effectively than zinc in the latter.
    thanks for that. Asking around at our backwater marina is tough at this time of year. It a lovely little place, but deserted! That however is most of it's charm. Lovely little family run place.

Maybe try one of those anodes you hang over the side. Their use is quite common amongst racers. You can lift it periodically to see whether it has been neutered as Macd considers possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lpdsn View Post
    ...as Macd considers possible.
    I'm afraid the M**d who considers it possible is MGDuff, and other companies in the same field. Having formerly had boats in a brackish harbour for many years, I've merely seen seen the effects, which MGDuff were helpful in explaining. But you're right that a hanging anode might offer diagnostic help.
    Mac