Default The Tender Trials

My mind has been wondering, it's the winter, works slow and I've been thinking of summer and fun things on the water.

I present to you the Tender Trials...

I doubt you'll get it past the committee in your club, covered by insurance or adhere to any of the RYA "powerboat" racing rules (or whomever's you have to), but it could be a fun day to get people at the "club" involved on a hot windless summer day.

Run as a time trial so there's not a dozen props in the water at one time, a "P" course set to test tender and skipper with a range of tasks in small boats with small engines, all in the spirit of fun.

Rules...

Obviously
    • Lifejackets
    • Kill cords
    • Safety boats

• P course
    • Tender pre launched and tied at the end of the pontoon
    • Le Mans style start from start of pontoon (no running, Elf and Safety remember)
    • Start engine reverse past mark (downcourse), turn and a run down to the bottom of the P
    • Pickup mooring buoy tie off painter and kill engine (complete some sort of boat related task)
    • Start engine and run back up to mark
    • Round mark and stop at bottom of slipway
    • Recover tender onto trolley 6ft above water like.
    • Trolley down, clock stops...

Classes

• Standard Honda 2-2.3hp AC 4 stroke
    • Standard upto 2.5hp 2 stroke, Fixed drive (restrictor not to be removed from Mariner, Mercury, Tohatsu etc)
    • Modified upto 3.5hp 2 Stroke, Fixed or F-N drive inc upto 5hp 4 stroke
    • Seagull
    • Electric

Hull

• Open - Inflatable, GRP, Wood, as long as it's got positive buoyancy the design is up to you... this is to forward the development of F1 of tender designs...

So, does anyone run or already taken part in this sort of thing? (I'm sure something like this wouldn't really take off... 2 stroke engines, flimly old hulls, broken hips etc etc) but im my mind it would be pretty fun.

Light-hearted suggestions and thoughts on rules and regulations??
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Default Re: The Tender Trials

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Ballad View Post
    My mind has been wondering, it's the winter, works slow and I've been thinking of summer and fun things on the water.

I present to you the Tender Trials...

I doubt you'll get it past the committee in your club, covered by insurance or adhere to any of the RYA "powerboat" racing rules (or whomever's you have to), but it could be a fun day to get people at the "club" involved on a hot windless summer day.

Run as a time trial so there's not a dozen props in the water at one time, a "P" course set to test tender and skipper with a range of tasks in small boats with small engines, all in the spirit of fun.

Rules...

Obviously
    • Lifejackets
    • Kill cords
    • Safety boats

• P course
    • Tender pre launched and tied at the end of the pontoon
    • Le Mans style start from start of pontoon (no running, Elf and Safety remember)
    • Start engine reverse past mark (downcourse), turn and a run down to the bottom of the P
    • Pickup mooring buoy tie off painter and kill engine (complete some sort of boat related task)
    • Start engine and run back up to mark
    • Round mark and stop at bottom of slipway
    • Recover tender onto trolley 6ft above water like.
    • Trolley down, clock stops...

Classes

• Standard Honda 2-2.3hp AC 4 stroke
    • Standard upto 2.5hp 2 stroke, Fixed drive (restrictor not to be removed from Mariner, Mercury, Tohatsu etc)
    • Modified upto 3.5hp 2 Stroke, Fixed or F-N drive inc upto 5hp 4 stroke
    • Seagull
    • Electric

Hull

• Open - Inflatable, GRP, Wood, as long as it's got positive buoyancy the design is up to you... this is to forward the development of F1 of tender designs...

So, does anyone run or already taken part in this sort of thing? (I'm sure something like this wouldn't really take off... 2 stroke engines, flimly old hulls, broken hips etc etc) but im my mind it would be pretty fun.

Light-hearted suggestions and thoughts on rules and regulations??
    Can't wait to see the results on YouTube!

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Can't wait to see the results on YouTube!

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    Speeded up and set to Yaketty Sax, of course.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Speeded up and set to Yaketty Sax, of course.
    Exactly how I imagined it...

I suppose rowing might be the safer but not as fun option.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

That is so British! We will race just about anything!

Or do it the old-fashioned way. Rower and cox (but blindfold the oarsman), for added amusement put the cox onshore or in a following vessel.