Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Winter Diesel fuel ?

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    The low temp could be making the engine oil a bit more viscous so difficult for the engine to turn over at the speed necessary to get the diesel compressing quickly.

That said, Wynns make a couple of additives that I use on farm diesels in winter.

https://www.wynns.uk.com/

and there's an anti-waxing additive such as

http://www.kamco.co.uk/diesel.html

Best, though, is to make sure the batteries are really topped up as advised above
    Thanks some interesting info there

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    The first question is whether the engine was being cranked at adequate RPM for it to fire. If not, think battery, starter motor, every connection between.
    Then consider whether the glow plugs actually work and were given long enough.
    Then think about the rest of the fuel system. If the boat is not used for a while, could some tiny leak be letting air into the system?
    You could undo an injector feed slightly and check that it weeps diesel not froth or air when you crank.

12.45V on the battery a few minutes after several attempted starts is not too bad IMHO. What it drops to while cranking will tell you more. along with what current the starter draws.

I don't think summer road fuel is going to be a real problem unless you are walking to your boat across the ice.
    Portsmouth harbour freezing up

The boat is on a swinging mooring and very unusually i have not been able to get out to her for about 8 weeks, weather, work, etc etc so the batteries may have not been as healthy as they should be, whilst on the southcoast it has still been very cold and i think the comments about the engine oil viscosity are probably nearer the mark than diesel waxing.

I will have to slope off for an afternoon next week and go and give the engine a good run and as we are hoping to go out boxing day.

I have (I think) the same engine as you in my Kubota garden tractor. It needs at least 30 seconds of heat before cranking (that's the advice in the handbook). In addition, the oil is noticeably thicker than normal.

"The boat is on a swinging mooring"
    I suggest the most cost effective thing you can do is get a solar panel to keep the battery charge up to scratch. That will save you money on having to replace flattened sulphated batteries and you wont need to "give the engine a good run" just to charge them up. This wastes fuel and creates excess engine wear by doing cold starts when you otherwise wouldn't.
    On top of all that the engine will always start.

Quote Originally Posted by third engines View Post
    Common rail DIRECT INJECTION uses glows, really?

<Snippage>
    Yep... and the glows are often running for a few minutes AFTER the engine is running to reduce particulates
    Larry Botheras

Colvic Victor 35 "Gladys"

Quote Originally Posted by third engines View Post
    Common rail DIRECT INJECTION uses glows, really?

Suggestion to the O/P who has an indirect injection engine, check all of the glows.

Of course, what makes you think they don't have them ?

They don't tend to have heavy cables wiring them all together nowadays, typically wired to their own controller via CANBus. Been in use for 15-20 years.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Does your engine have glow plugs? 12.45v on the start battery isn't great.
    That voltage measurement is meaningless, cold weather? battery type? The voltage will be a lot lower when actually turning over the engine.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    I suggest the most cost effective thing you can do is get a solar panel to keep the battery charge up to scratch. That will save you money on having to replace flattened sulphated batteries and you wont need to "give the engine a good run" just to charge them up. This wastes fuel and creates excess engine wear by doing cold starts when you otherwise wouldn't.
    I agree with this.
    A small panel under a clear deck hatch was enough to improve starting for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    +1.
    Cant understand why more people don't have a small solar panel.I find that 20w watts of solar will keep two batteries charged all year via a controller to prevent overcharging in summer.Prolongs life of batteries and saves running engine.
    Leisure Owners Association

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123