Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Advice for a young potential Liveaboard

I've done the trip you are planning three times, first time was when I was 23 on a very basic boat with no shower, no fridge and certainly nothing fancy like solar panels. Left London at the beginning of May, 6 weeks through the canals to the med, then a couple of months in the med and back up through the canals in time to go back to work at the end of October.

We have been cruising in the med for the last three years on our 30 footer. Our budget is £2000 per month and this has been pretty comfortable.

Your plan seems perfectly feasible to me. It is quite possible to day sail in good weather along the French and Italian coasts. It's what we have done this year. You need to bear in mind that when you emerge into the med from the canals you are in a very windy area with not many sheltered anchorages and if you (like us) want to avoid sailing in bad weather you will probably spend quite a few nights in marinas. We budgeted 800 euros per month for June, July and August for mooring fees for this reason and over the whole season we still ended up within our total budget.

I must say that I find the comments that two 22 year olds will struggle with the heat a bit bizarre. I thought that was what we were all here for!

Join the Cruising Association which will be able to provide you with all the information you need.

Good luck.

http://www.annoncesbateau.com/voilie...EGORIE=voilier

Plenty of bioats in south of france for less than your budget and as others have said go there quickly and cheaply, by bus makes it easier to brung along tools etc. Then look for fixerupper to enjoy... spend little and enjoy save yourselves the boring scenic route through france. put the boat on ssr and sail to Spain... Uk Reg boat with UK captain....have fun... 23ft is too small to be sure of some comfort, lack of confort makes iritability and lack of sleep makes dangerous....get 28 to 30 footer....

Just do it.

I would look at what you can get in Greece, some here
    http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis...=3&Ntk=boatsUK

I know people say you increasingly have to pay in Greece but most of not all anchorages are free and a lot of ports still are. You will have a big area to explore and if you want you can always move onto Turkey or back into the western med.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234