Default Webasto/Eberspacher exhaust hose- insulation

Is it OK to use this for wrapping the 24mm exhaust from a D1LCC heater:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-WHITE...72.m2749.l2649
    Just ordered a 10Mtr roll, this is 2" (50mm) wide, so any ideas what sort of overlap I should allow (50% I would guess?) If so, would a 10mtr roll be sufficient to cover 2 Mtrs of 24mm exhaust, perhaps twice?
    Would it also be acceptable to wrap the Eberspacher exhaust silencer (rectangular not cylindrical type) with the same insulation?
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Webasto/Eberspacher exhaust hose- insulation

Should be fine, I used similar on both the installations I have done on top of the sock-type insulation provided in the kit. The wrap I used looks thicker and was foil-backed.

I reckon there's enough for 3 layers. The surface area of your exhaust is 2 0.024 pi = 0.15 square m. Area of the tape is 10 0.05 = 0.5 square m.
    That neglects the increase of exhaust pipe diameter after the first layer has been applied and there's no allowance for overlap. But still more than enough for 2 layers.

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by mickywillis View Post
    Is it OK to use this for wrapping the 24mm exhaust from a D1LCC heater:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-WHITE...72.m2749.l2649
    Just ordered a 10Mtr roll, this is 2" (50mm) wide, so any ideas what sort of overlap I should allow (50% I would guess?) If so, would a 10mtr roll be sufficient to cover 2 Mtrs of 24mm exhaust, perhaps twice?
    Would it also be acceptable to wrap the Eberspacher exhaust silencer (rectangular not cylindrical type) with the same insulation?
    Thanks in advance.
    Looks like the same stuff I used. 5m covered my 1m of exhaust overlapped sufficiently to give at least 2 layers. The whole point of the lagging is to reduce the risk of anything in the same space from coming into contact with hot surfaces, including the silencer.

For the first 2 hours of running i put my CO detector in the locker with the Eber to check for exhaust leaks before fitting it in the cabin.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    Last edited by Plum; 18-12-17 at 13:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    The whole point of the lagging is to reduce the risk of anything in the same space from coming into contact with hot surfaces, including the silencer.

For the first 2 hours of running i put my CO detector in the locker with the Eber to check for exhaust leaks before fitting it in the cabin.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    I still make a conscious effort to keep everything away from the heater. Even with insulation, fried fender does not smell nice!

OK thanks all, wrap now ordered and on its way!
    Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    ..... The whole point of the lagging is to reduce the risk of anything in the same space from coming into contact with hot surfaces, including the silencer.
    Actually the main point of the insulation is to keep the exhaust gases hot, preventing them from condensing in the pipe.