Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 'Rias and Rioja Raid'

There is a new challenge for those lukewarm about heading west 'across the pond' in 2018, or unlikely to join the GGR, and seek an alternative.

'The Rias and Rioja Raid'...... Plymouth to A Coruna..... Start 29 July 2018 @ 1200UTC..... Breakwater West

The event - The MOCKER CHALLENGE - will be run following the Jester ethos - no rules, but even simpler. Just sail there, start to finish. All true Jesters welcome.

You may enter with any size boat that floats. If you want to take crew, you may. Or not. There will be several classes - Big Boats and Little Boats.
    Meals, moorings, beer, etc will be available at the Tamar River Sailing Club. Dining and wining excursions are planned, both ends. Lavish prizes. Expect a press release in the new year.

2 have committed already, on the spot. 8 others have indicated interest, subject to 'management approval'.

I, Claude Van Martyn, will be at the start line at the allotted time. This is not to be a stick your head out and if nasty turn back, nor run an engine, nor start a week later. Nor do I seek to hear from anyone who won't get to the start line. This is 'On the line and Go!'

Entry fee is one Guernsey pound.

If you have the drive and style to do this then you're invited to contact me - mocker2018@gmail.com.

Edit: New Year's Eve, and 6 have committed..... Who's next?
    Last edited by zoidberg; 30-12-17 at 17:47.

Default Re: 'Rias and Rioja Raid'

You little sod.
    I can resist anything except temptation .
    So you put it in front of me

Have been told that if First Officer doesn't go then neither can I.
    Last edited by Tomahawk; 30-12-17 at 16:35.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

The 'Rias and Rioja Raid' ( or MOCKER, to those with a preference for the unromantic ) is most certainly NOT intended as a single-handed purgatory.... unless one ( ! ) so chooses.

The list of 'Committeds' is now up to 6. At this rate of recruitment, we could well see about 30 attending the Preparatory Party in the TRSC the evening before the Start. Or even the Practice Prep Party the evening before that.....

And 'Tomahawk', as the Committee cum Party Boat par excellence, certainly needs her full complement of seasoned long-distance revelers.....

This could be a lot of fun!

À Coruna is easy to find.....you just keep Europe on the left, and follow the party music.

Even Sarabande has bought a map thingy and has written off to the Spanish Tourist Office about the Wine Routes and tapas bars. Arriba, arriba!

Who's next to throw their sombrero in the ring...?

I am just thinking about it at the moment...
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    I am just thinking about it at the moment...
    I’m thinking about how I could free my diary up and get the time off!
    "Don’t be afraid to go out on a limb. It’s where all the fruit is.” Shirley Maclean

Albariño.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wansworth View Post
    Albariño.....
    I'll settle for some of that. With fishy bits, at least....

Sounds like there's 9 or 10 now said 'Yes, please.'

No large cash deposit. No irksome French-Parisien FFS/FFV rules ( translate that acronym any way you wish ). No scrutineering before, during, after. Take who you want, bring back who you want - within reason. Bring a party hat....

Sunday 29 July.

This is so tempting after having missed out on last years Baltimore Challenge due to major engine failure on the day of launch (fixed after complete rebuild). Only problem will be convincing work as its 2 weeks after i get back from Turkey. Estimate at least 3 weeks + coming from Medway. Will see how my negotiating skills go with the boss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast